 Off-Topic / Debate / 18305
Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:56:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
Maybe if americans would concentrate more on geography and less on Britney
Spears they'd get their 'precision bombing' right the next time...

Yeah, we just need to give geography some sex appeal-- then we'll learn it! :)

These surveys are not designed to make american kids look stupid. They're
just made to test general knowledge. I must admit I couldn't name each US
state with its capital, but at least I know where the US are, and I wouldn't
mistake India for Africa on a map...

I once knew all the state capitals. Now I remember probably about half of
them. I have to admit, though, sometimes I'm suprised to see how many
American *adults* don't know all 50 states. While playing Pictionary a while
ago, I spent the entire time on one turn attempting to draw Oklahoma (which
I always thought was a pretty recognizable shape for a state), but it was
never guessed. Afterwards, the response was "OHHHHhhh... Well I don't know
what Oklahoma looks like!" I was rather suprised.

As for the beer commercials: The Budweiser frogs win.

By the way, is 'knowify' a bit like 'learn'?

Honestly, it's almost rather an inside joke. Playing Star Control 3, there
was a race of beings who were rather stupid. They'd misuse large and small
words alike, making up new words in the process. "Watch out or we'll
blasticate you with our laseracious guns! Our weapons will blowify your ship
to little parts!"

DaveE