 Off-Topic / Debate / 18298
18297  |  18299
Subject:
Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:44:42 GMT

32% of my countrymen
support an attack on Iraq. I’d bet half of them could not find it on a map.

Your point about the 32% is quite valid, alas.  I live in Pennsylvania and
once asked a 22-year-old woman where New York is, and she said "about three
hours away."  So then I asked her what the capital of Harrisburg is, and she
said "come on--you know I don't know that stuff."

I thought this was pertinent:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1120_021120_GeoRoperSurvey.html

"About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S.
on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to
58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent."

I wonder if they'd dare send Bush the survey:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoons/stevebell/0,7371,519655,00.html

More here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoons/archive/stevebell/0,7371,337764,00.html

Scott A