 Off-Topic / Debate / 18320
Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:01:31 GMT

Geography and knowing something about other countries is also probably
much more important to most of the rest of the world.

I think if we all understood each other a little better, life for us all would
be much better. I have seen a relatively small part of the world, but I have
learned a lot from *every* country I have visited and *every* culture I have
experienced. The USA is suffering right now in world opinion because of its
perceived isolationist stance. I respect you a great deal, but your comment
above did remind we of that point.

Nations like Iraq & Iran are composed of real people with hopes and aspirations
just like you or I. Perhaps if we recognised that a little more, we'd have been
less likely to supported their oppression in that past and be less likely bomb
them in the future?

When the USA first entered the War in North Africa in WW2 they thought they had
nothing to learn on desert warfare from the Allies. The result was a crushing
defeat and humble pie. In short, there is no point in repeating the mistakes
others have already made.

Scott A