 Off-Topic / Debate / 18322
Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:41:25 GMT

Geography and knowing something about other countries is also probably
much more important to most of the rest of the world.

I think if we all understood each other a little better, life for us all would
be much better.

  That's very true, but I think it's more important to be able to understand
and empathize with the people of Djibouti, for instance, than it is to be
able to find their nation on the map.  That's certainly not to imply that
Americans have any particular skill at cultural empathy, but a
find-the-country test is no real measure of that shortcoming.

The USA is suffering right now in world opinion because of its
perceived isolationist stance.

  I demand that you retract that statement--there's nothing "perceived"
about our isolationist stance whatsoever.  8^(

     Dave!