 Off-Topic / Debate / 18053
Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:23:34 GMT

If you see this, and you're slowly convincing me that your interpretation of
what's going on is true, so now I see it, how come this isn't common
knowledge to the rest of the masses?

A combination of a need to conform and political apathy.

Actually, I would say that it stems from an awareness that someone has
already made up Bush's mind to attack Iraq, as well as an awareness of the
futility of trying to prevent it.

If true, I would view that as a rather apathetic outlook. ;)

  Not at all!  I'm quite upset about it, but I still recognize the futility.
I suspect that many of My Fellow Americans feel the same.  "Apathy" suggests
that we don't care, when in fact we do (some, very strongly).  I know you're
semi-kidding (hence the wink), but I wanted to underscore the point.

Anyone who even suggests that we should wait before rushing in is publicly
condemned as a coward or an anti-American or a politicizer or simply a fool
who can't see the obvious,

Indeed, the need to conform is strong. ;)

  Again, I see the wink, but I'd like to clarify.  If non-conformity results
in the loss of one's job or respect or well-being, or if non-conformity
causes one's family to lose such things, then it's a bigger issue than
simply running with the crowd.  The Bush administration is desperate to make
this a polarizing litmus test while simultaneously pretending that they're
doing no such thing.
  Saddam's not likely to launch any initiatives against Israel or the US in
the next month.  That's why I say we should wait until after the next round
of Congressional elections so that none of this "anti-American" mudslinging
affects the Iraq vote.

I prefer to let the UN vote on it. After all, your servicemen are old enough
to decide what is right or wrong.

  UN aside for a moment, what I meant was that the Congress seems eager to
send other people's offspring into combat, but I wonder if they'd be so
willing to sacrifice their own.

By the way, this issue is further evidence that the Democrats and
Republicans, though similar, are *not* interchangeable.

People who claim the two main parties in the UK are “just the same”, are one
of the biggest causes of political apathy (IMO). I expect the same can be
said in the USA

  I thought you all just genuflect to The Queene and sip your tea in one
big, happy House of Commons? 8^)

     Dave!