 Off-Topic / Debate / 18310
Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:04:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

On the other hand, I am concerned when I encounter a cashier who doesn't
grasp mathematics enough to realize that something is wrong when a small
bag of groceries rings up to $1000.

  Maybe you just have overly expensive taste in groceries...
  Next time you come across such a cashier and your order is $7.78, give him
$10.28 and watch his mind melt.

What I would rather see though is something which could evaluate the
ability of people to learn and research. The actual learning I got from
college is mostly useless, but what was important was learning how to
learn and research.

  That is a fantastic observation!  By the end of my fourth semester (my gen
eds) I realized that, with the exception of one course, I'd learned nothing
but bits of trivia.  The exception class was a course in critical thinking,
which I still believe to have been my overall best course.

     Dave!