 Off-Topic / Debate / 18312
Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:30:59 GMT

By the end of my fourth semester (my gen
eds) I realized that, with the exception of one course, I'd learned nothing
but bits of trivia.  The exception class was a course in critical thinking,
which I still believe to have been my overall best course.

I guess it also depends on what you're learning-- I get the sense (From
other people I know in the field) that things like Biochemistry and Medicine
are a little more fact-oriented than method-oriented.

  Here's a word of advice for anyone seeking a liberal arts education:  DON'T
  And if someone tries to B-S you with some spiel about "it's best to have a
broad base of education" I urge you to laugh in that person's face and tell
him I told you so.  I know several guys who barely finished three semesters
and who are currently earning twice what I do with half the student loans!
  If those kids in New York succeed in their ridiculous McLawsuit, I plan to
sue Penn State for failing to advise me of the employment futility of an
English degree!  All I have to show for it are my dazzling vocabulary, my
sparkling prose, and my irrepressible humility.

Unlike (in my case) computer programming, where what's more important is to
learn how to break problems down and solve them algorithmically, rather than
learn a particular language or set of commands...

   Interestingly, that's a good metaphorical description for how people
might better learn problem solving, rather than rote repetition and parroting.

     Dave!