 Off-Topic / Debate / 18314
Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:20:10 GMT

Here's a word of advice for anyone seeking a liberal arts education:  DON'T
And if someone tries to B-S you with some spiel about "it's best to have a
broad base of education" I urge you to laugh in that person's face and tell
him I told you so.  I know several guys who barely finished three semesters
and who are currently earning twice what I do with half the student loans!

I suppose that depends on the person, too... My stepfather is miserable in
his decision to become an actuary (he hates math and the like), but it's
surely more lucrative than other professions he could've followed with a
degree in history. In that regard, perhaps the advice should be "Don't get a
liberal arts degree unless you're prepared not to 'make it big'", or what
have you.

If those kids in New York succeed in their ridiculous McLawsuit,

I think I missed the McLawsuit... What's the skinny on that one?

Unlike (in my case) computer programming, where what's more important is to
learn how to break problems down and solve them algorithmically, rather than
learn a particular language or set of commands...

  Interestingly, that's a good metaphorical description for how people
might better learn problem solving, rather than rote repetition and parroting.

I find that it's just about the best solution to avoid acting-by-mimicing.
Learning to "think like a programmer" often means you apply that thinking
elsewhere; which (in my experience) teaches one not to simply follow out of
habit or by example.

Of course, it also leads one to waste lots of time. I mean, let's face it,
95% of your daily activities are done out of force of habit, but there are
good reasons that you do so. Breaking them down unnecessarily often leads to
just reach the same conclusions you reached before; just reached for
different reasons.

Not to mention people often accuse you of over-analysis (see recent Lugnet
voting/rating system thread). Waste of time? Often the case. But you'd never
know if you didn't try. And the reward of knowledge is often all you get out
of it (even though I find that people often undervalue it...)

DaveE