 Off-Topic / Debate / 18040
  K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

Not to boil it down to the lowest possible common denominator... (URL) denies having weapons of mass destruction, and its U.N. ambassador, Mohammed Aldouri, suggested Sunday his country could allow inspectors access even to the presidential sites (...) (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) Participation in a conspiracy is dangerous stuff. There are always loose ends that you can't tie up. That's why big awful conspiracies that require lots of secrecy and participation are silly. Acting President Bush is, I believe, worried that (...) (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) If you see this, and you're slowly convincing me that your interpretation of what's going on is true, so now I see it, how come this isn't common knowledge to the rest of the masses? What's going on? How can the first ammendment be "taking a (...) (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) I think that it _is_ becoming common knowledge. That's why he's grasping at straws. Chris (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) A combination of a need to conform and political apathy. Scott A (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) Actually, I would say that it stems from an awareness that someone has already made up Bush's mind to attack Iraq, as well as an awareness of the futility of trying to prevent it. Anyone who even suggests that we should wait before rushing in (...) (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) If true, I would view that as a rather apathetic outlook. ;) (...) Indeed, the need to conform is strong. ;) (...) I prefer to let the UN vote on it. After all, your servicemen are old enough to decide what is right or wrong. (...) People who (...) (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) Not at all! I'm quite upset about it, but I still recognize the futility. I suspect that many of My Fellow Americans feel the same. "Apathy" suggests that we don't care, when in fact we do (some, very strongly). I know you're semi-kidding (...) (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) apathetic (adjective): lacking interest or energy; unwilling to take action esp. over a matter of importance Perhaps (the collective) you just does not care enough? 32% of my countrymen support an attack on Iraq. I’d bet half of them could not (...) (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) "Care enough" is hard to quantify, but I really don't know what the average citizen can do. Even organizing a rally or a letter-writing campaign seems unworkable in the timeframe available, and we've already seen that Bush is happy to detain (...) (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) There were moments in Dubya's speech where he was downright eloquent, but for the most bit, I found he just grated on my nerves. There was once or twice when he almost said word for word stuff from Bartlett's speech from this years season (...) (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: K, in even simpler terms, for those of us who hate seeing death and killings and such...

(...) ... and it appears Bush's geography is little better. The other night he said: ==+== We've also discovered through intelligence that Iraq has a growing fleet of manned and unmanned aerial vehicles that could be used to disperse chemical or (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) I thought this was pertinent: (URL) 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) I think these surveys are specifically geared to make American kids look dumb. They should change the survey. How about "Can you find the nearest Target(R) store on this map?" or "Which beer commercial is better?". Let's see other countries (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) These appalling results were similar in the previous generation. I worked in the mapping business from 1990-1994 and there was no shortage of these articles wringing hands over the un-oriented college students of the 80s. University of (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

Maybe if americans would concentrate more on geography and less on Britney Spears they'd get their 'precision bombing' right the next time... These surveys are not designed to make american kids look stupid. They're just made to test general (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) Yeah, we just need to give geography some sex appeal-- then we'll learn it! :) (...) I once knew all the state capitals. Now I remember probably about half of them. I have to admit, though, sometimes I'm suprised to see how many American (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) Haha! That's classic! It would be nice comic relief if those guys showed up in the new Starship RPG... :) -H. (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) One thing which makes me tend not to trust these education surveys is that in the US, almost every child goes through high school, and a huge percentage go to college. In other countries, starting somewhere around the high school age (or even (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) Maybe you just have overly expensive taste in groceries... Next time you come across such a cashier and your order is $7.78, give him $10.28 and watch his mind melt. (...) That is a fantastic observation! By the end of my fourth semester (my (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) I guess it also depends on what you're learning-- I get the sense (From other people I know in the field) that things like Biochemistry and Medicine are a little more fact-oriented than method-oriented. Unlike (in my case) computer (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) Here's a word of advice for anyone seeking a liberal arts education: DON'T And if someone tries to B-S you with some spiel about "it's best to have a broad base of education" I urge you to laugh in that person's face and tell him I told you (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) A good friend of mine who went to some effort to acheive his PH.D. went immediately through a long-ish period of unemployment because he was "over-qualified" for most jobs he went hunting. He printed up some self-mocking business cards "Thomas (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) I suppose that depends on the person, too... My stepfather is miserable in his decision to become an actuary (he hates math and the like), but it's surely more lucrative than other professions he could've followed with a degree in history. In (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) Hmm. I thought your were just parodying Bush... ;0 Scott A (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) I think if we all understood each other a little better, life for us all would be much better. I have seen a relatively small part of the world, but I have learned a lot from *every* country I have visited and *every* culture I have (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) "The skinny" indeed: (URL) Dave! (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) That's very true, but I think it's more important to be able to understand and empathize with the people of Djibouti, for instance, than it is to be able to find their nation on the map. That's certainly not to imply that Americans have any (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) I agree 100%. However, Joe Public has to understand that by bombing/supporting dictator X, a whole region can be destabilised. (...) Hmm, and to think I only put "perceived" in to stop any knee jerks... ;) Scott A (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Q. Where is the USA? A. You are standing on it!

(...) I probably should have worded the above a little more carefully. I did not mean to imply that people in the US do not need to understand other peoples (though even there, I would argue that there is still less need for a cashier in the US to (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)