 Off-Topic / Debate / 15495
Re: scalpers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:18:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

My point is that I am often plagued by scalpers in my neck of the woods.  It
could be a sale item, or just a popular item.  I walk into a store and see
empty shelf space where the item is supposed to be only to find it bare,
almost bare, or filled with something else just to eliminate wasted shelf
space.  But if I browse E-Bay... there it is; marked up, marked down, it
doesn't matter... it's there instead of the store that it should have been.

What do you mean "should have been"? The goal of a store is to sell things.

Stores are within their rights to put quantity limits in place, if they so
choose. They are also within their rights to sell as many as they like to
the first person that appears with cash in hand. Unless the scalper is
working in collusion with a store employee in contravention to store policy
(that is, he and the employee are defrauding the corporate entity) you have
no beef.

Scalpers are performing arbitrage which is a very important function of a
market economy.

You've presented no alternative other than "well the merchandise should be
there when I want it to be" which may well be an economic loss for the store
if "when you want it to be" is somewhat later than when it first was on offer.

I'm a scalper under your definition, and I'm proud of it.

Speaking of scalpers...  I came across this page on the Rebelscum website:

http://www.rebelscum.com/collect.asp

Does their definition of Collector apply to LEGO in the context of this thread?

-Rob.