 Marketplace / Shopping / 8862
Re: FOTY, at least for me.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:10:02 GMT

Eric Brouwer wrote:

So you happily cheated Target out of hundreds of dollars in revenue?  Kudos
to you and your ethics.

I just envy him. Here in Cary NC we had a somewhat similar thing with
5978. They had clearanced them one summer for $15.74. Then in the fall,
they showed up on the shelf again, with a regular price of $15.74. I
asked a handy employee to scan to see if the price was real. Yup.

I don't see any problem taking advantage of things like this. It is not
my responsibility to make sure they are getting a fair price for the
items (if it was, I would be obliged to point out that when they deep
clearance almost any LEGO, they are selling too cheaply). Now I admit
that if I saw a similar mistake at a smaller store I might point it out
to the owner, but then smaller stores rarely seem to make these mistakes
because they don't rely on computer systems with no human oversight. Of
course there was a store in the UK a while back which had a ridiculous
deal and discovered it when they had a run on the item. They sent an
apology to everyone and rescinded their offer. I would also point out
that folks have succeeded in court in forcing places to sell items for
the advertised price, though I'm not sure if any mistakes have upheld
(what I seem to remember hearing about mostly is folks forcing car
dealers to honor a low ball sucker price).

Frank