 Marketplace / Shopping / 8864
Re: FOTY, at least for me.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:44:52 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Eric Brouwer writes:
So you happily cheated Target out of hundreds of dollars in revenue?  Kudos
to you and your ethics.

I for one am not impressed in your veiled theft.

Well others have said it but I think it bears repeating, I'm not sure I'd
characterise taking advantage of a price in the system that the system chose
to assign as theft. He did nothing to interfere with Target's knowledge of
their prices or with their system, he just bought merchandise at the price
offered, whenever it appeared. That he bought ALL that they offered at the
price they offered is not his fault or even anything morraly wrong.

I don't think this is in any way interfering with Target's property, unlike,
say, switching or removing price tags, or hacking their pricing system, or
colluding with an employee to hide stock till it gets clearanced.... (which
I have my suspicions may actually be going on in some of these vacuumed over
Targets that have many many items before markdown and mysterious vanishments
afterwards)

If it's theft to take advantage of prices, it's theft to go to stores you
know are more likely to mark down early. And if that's so, I'm a thief and
so are a lot of us, because we do that.