 Marketplace / Shopping / 8885
Re: FOTY, at least for me.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:46:51 GMT

Troy's Surplus Lego wrote:
4. Telling Target would not have changed anything.  I told people at the
Target I mentioned above that there pricing was wrong.  It never changed.  I
honestly don't think the people at the store had any control over it.  And
nobody seemed motivated enough to call corporate.  I once got $10,000 of
Star Wars Lego from Ames for $2,500 because they had misadvertised a sale
(75% off all Star Wars merchandise in the Toy Department, which was
apparently not supposed to include Lego, but didn't state that in the add).
They HAD to honor the sale because it was advertised.  This was not my fault
and I do not feel guilty for it.  Furthermore, I had to speak to managers at
several of the stores, using my receipts from the previous stores as proof
that the prices were right.  It took me an entire week to go to all the
stores.  Do you think any of these managers thought to call corporate and
check on this?  Call the other stores and warn them about it?  I mean, how
hard would it have been to put all the lego into the warehouse until the
sale was over?  Or move it out of the toy departent?  It's not my fault that
the stores don't hire competent people.  Or that the ones that they do have
don't care.

They could have also posted a sign in the LEGO aisle and I would have
honored that. Now push come to shove, they might still be required to
honor the original ad, but honestly, one does need to have a capability
to correct a mistake. Eventually the stores will learn to word their ads
more carefully (and ad upfront indicating LEGO toys not included is
fine, and ad or generally advertised store policy of "only one discount
may be applied" is fine [to catch things like when K-Mart has "all LEGO
toys buy one get a second 50% off" and "all computer games 20% off", of
course they have corrected that by changing the BOGO to "buy one LEGO
construction set and get a second priced at the same or less for 50%
off" [that wording also makes it clear you will get $1 off when you buy
a $1.99 set and a $99.99 set]).

Frank