 Off-Topic / Debate / 15453
Re: scalpers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:06:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Kirby Warden writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Renard Graham writes:
If you saw my posts in the thread "Target Lies and Great Buys"

http://news.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=8840

I said I would tell the story of my local Target and the Life on Mars 7317.

So you're a scalper.

Not really.  If he was a scalper, he would be outside the store, selling the
sets to frustrated people who didn't find them inside.  Scalpers insert
themselves as middlemen where there is no added value.

That is exactly what the modern scalper does via E-Bay and other means.
That is exactly what this man said he does.  I'll use myself as an example
of the "frustrated people who didn't find them inside" as I only go to E-Bay
when I CAN'T find them inside.

Renard was reselling these to a different market (eBay), which is added
value.  From his account, he was only ther once a week, which gives other
shoppers *plenty* of time to pick up their own.

Here you seem to assume that other shoppers should be flooding the store
just to ensure they get theirs before the scalpers do.  Personally I go to
the store IF I have the money and often make several trips throughout the
year to get the sets that I want.  If the sets are not there, then I have to
resort to E-Bay or other such ilk.  LEGO SaH only ensures higher prices via
S&H fees.

  The fact that there were
there, week after week, certainly implies there wasn't much local demand.

I'm not sure who you are refering to here, the sets or the scalpers?

The sets were simply being restocked week after week until they ran out.

The scalpers were certainly there week after week snatching them up off the
shelves.  As many as they could take.

Do you think that every LEGO fan/collector should make their purchase as
soon as the items hit the shelves?  It seems to me that most people at least
wait until they have sufficient money to do so.  Then only purchasing what
they need to complete their collection or current project.

One of those opportunistic vermin.

Scalper= scum of the earth.

I'm not so vehement in my opinion of scalpers, but I do agree that they're
pretty much bottom feeders with little or no regard for their fellows.
However, buying at a great discount, and reselling to a differnt market is
not scalping.  If you think it is, you'd better get on over to Brickbay and
start denouncing those scum of the earth, shouldn't you?

Brickbay is great source for parts and sets that are out of production.  To
my knowledge many of the Brickbay stores only sell the items they have no
use for.  I'm sure there are also many who are simply scalpers as well.
Again, I use Brickbay when I can't find what I want in a retail outlet.
$0.02

James