 Off-Topic / Debate / 15468
Re: FOTY, at least for me.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:20:59 GMT

Obviously it would be better if the university were not
government in the first place...

I'm not sure why a private University would be necessarily better? In the
UK, as far a I know, there is only one university which is wholly privately
owned and funded (most are nominally privately owned, but are largely funded
by the taxpayer) and it is not measurably better than the others… I’m not
sure if it even competes. Although it is far from perfect, the UK system
produces some of the best graduates there is... including at least one
former US president. I'm not sure how making it a wholly privite venture
would improve it?

Your comment reminded me of this story about US university life:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1760000/1760531.stm
==+==
Students have come to expect if they pay a great deal of money for the
education... ...they deserve to have very high grades
==+==

Scott A
(who hopes to graduate this year... )