 Off-Topic / Debate / 15462
Re: FOTY, at least for me.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:17:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, John Heins writes:
Before the execution proceeds, a different pov.  Isn't this simply a form or
arbitrage - where a buyer takes advantage of a localized oversupply or
pricing anomaly and resells the product at a price closer to what is the
"global market price"?

YES. In fact even the scalper of tickets performs a service. I'm sorry, but
I don't have time to play games with Ticketmaster, waiting in line for
armbands to determine where in a ticket line I end up in, which determines
my shot at a block of seats in the Ticketmaster computer, and so forth. I'm
happy to pay over face value for tickets to the person who does.

Jurisdictions that outlaw scalping are evil or misguided, as they are
deliberately distorting natural market forces for their own twisted or
confused reasons.

There was recently a flap in the paper here about scalping. NC State has
a new policy banning resale of tickets on their property which upset
people like season ticket holders or just folks who showed up for a game
and one person wasn't able to make it. They clarified that they were
going after the folks who buy large blocks of tickets, or buy that lone
ticket from the group of friends for less than face value and then turn
around and sell it for more than face value.

But you see NC State is wrong. Even those people are doing a service. My
former employer got season ticks to the Pistons one year, and they were more
hapless than usual, winning hardly any important games. So it got to where
the firm was practically begging that people take the ticks rather than have
them go to waste. So I would tell our office manager I'd take them if no one
else would, (never denying them to anyone who actually wanted to go) then
drive up to the Palace and sell them to scalpers 2 hours before game time.
I'd take the money I got and put it in the donut fund.

Those scalpers usually didn't give me much for the ticks... they were paying
for a ticket that they well might not be able to unload in 2 hours when it's
value would evaporate. If they DID unload it they ought to be able to get
the most they could for it, not some artificial limit such as face value.
But it was a win all around, I felt.

So NC State, while within rights to limit activity on their property (if
it's not government owned), is still misguided by interfering in the market.