 Marketplace / Shopping / 8874
Re: FOTY, at least for me.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:08:36 GMT

Well, that's my story.  Sorry it is so long, don't know if there is a • moral
to it, if any of you can think of it chime in.  Please don't be too hard • on
me for selling my sets on ebay, like I said, I keep one for my daughters • and
me ( OK mostly for me) and make money on the rest.

Congratulation on your luck in this deal Renard.  I have just a few
observations for you and especially for those that seem to have taken issue
with you doing this.

1. Just where do you think all the cheap Lego on Brickbay and eBay comes
from?  It comes specifically from people buying sets when they can find
deals like these.  Or did you really think that it was possible to buy sets
at full retail and be able to sell them for anywhere near your cost?

2. Buying something at the price that it is listed or advertised for is not
in any way theft.  While you may argue that the "right" thing to do would be
to tell them their prices are wrong, that would be just your opinion.  I
would argue that Target should have known better.  It doesn't take a rocket
scientist to notice that a set of that size should not be selling for less
than the price of smaller kits.  Furthermore, how do you know this was not
the intended price?  I had a similar situation locally where one of the
Targets had the Snow Speeder priced at $9.99.  It was ALWAYS priced that
way.  The kept getting them in, and they kept selling out of them (not
always to me either)

3. Scalping is when you buy something at face value and then mark it up
ABOVE that value because of scarcity of availability.  Buying a commonly
available item at a discount and then reselling it for a proffit is not
scalping.  I've not seen any of the auctions, but I'd hazzard a guess that
probably none of them sold for above retail.  And i'm sure that everyone
that bought one from Renard was happy with the price that they paid for it.
Sure, they would have been happier had they paid what Renard had for them,
but that's just too bad.

4. Telling Target would not have changed anything.  I told people at the
Target I mentioned above that there pricing was wrong.  It never changed.  I
honestly don't think the people at the store had any control over it.  And
nobody seemed motivated enough to call corporate.  I once got $10,000 of
Star Wars Lego from Ames for $2,500 because they had misadvertised a sale
(75% off all Star Wars merchandise in the Toy Department, which was
apparently not supposed to include Lego, but didn't state that in the add).
They HAD to honor the sale because it was advertised.  This was not my fault
and I do not feel guilty for it.  Furthermore, I had to speak to managers at
several of the stores, using my receipts from the previous stores as proof
that the prices were right.  It took me an entire week to go to all the
stores.  Do you think any of these managers thought to call corporate and
check on this?  Call the other stores and warn them about it?  I mean, how
hard would it have been to put all the lego into the warehouse until the
sale was over?  Or move it out of the toy departent?  It's not my fault that
the stores don't hire competent people.  Or that the ones that they do have
don't care.

5. Any country with a free market economy is based on the concept of buy
low, sell high.  Get used to it.  Unless you actually like price fixing....

Troy