 Off-Topic / Debate / 15496
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:20:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
An armed citizenry can prevent abuse of power.

Before some of the sillier rhetoric goes much further -- the historical
reason for the 2nd Amendment in the U.S. is exactly as Mike states in the above.

Yes, we have a system of checks and balances.  Yes, we are supposed to have
separate legislative, judicial, and executive branches of govt. Yes, we have
a democratic republic based on a system of free voting.  We have a lot --
but we have lost the final check, the final weight in the balance -- the
ability of the people to rule themselves.

Yes, we have special interests and lobbyists.  Yes, we have corruption in
the funding of political campaigns.  Yes, it is true that we have
politicians that cannot afford to ignore their financial backers.  Yes, we
have lost true juries in the U.S. (veniremen properly representing peers of
the accused and with the acknowledged right to decide upon the facts AND the
law).  Yes, we have no federal common law.  And so on...the people have lost
their rights almost entirely within the system.

Thomas Jefferson said: "What signify a few lives lost in a century or two?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

Draw your own conclusions.

The U.S. is not a small country.  It is large and politically schizophrenic.
By pushing the whole of the country towards a centralized federal
leadership, rather than towards united but individual states, we have made
the problem too large and unwieldy for a single group to be able to manage
it properly. Limiting federal powers and empowering the states would be a
good solution short of an outright bloody rebellion.  But can it happen?

Growing dissatisfaction with things as they are was growing before this last
year.  I hope the distractions of this stupid war and fear of terrorism
hasn't quashed the fervor for a better political scene, but it probably has...

-- Hop-Frog