 Off-Topic / Debate / *20001 (-20)
  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Wayne McCaul writes: <snip> (...) ACC's short story about an officer chasing a runaway on an asteroid--brilliant. THe runaway is running around on the asteroid, and the officer is in a space ship--Clark goes into how the (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...

(...) News Flash--nothing is perfect. Not to bring religion into it, but we live in a fallen world. Beyond the religions scope, Democracy is the 'lesser of all evils". Heck, you and I don't even live in a pure democratic society, and basically used (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) ...as a %age of GDP? (...) The UN is about bringing nations together; that cannot be achieved by excluding developing countries. (...) Sure, lets rank them by 1. "least countries bombed since 1945". 2. "least times the veto was used" 3. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

(...) Man, I *love* that soundtrack. It was sort of a gateway for me to other ambient-techno stuff. I have the book, but I put it down about a third of the way through it and can't remember what I did with it. Maybe I should try to dig it up - (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) I like hw you extoll the tenants of democracy except where you think it'll work against you. You have *no* faith in your fellow man--if there are all these counties, with equal voice, you think that if a vote came up--"Should Iraq disarm" that (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...

(...) This subthread got a start when someone said "if you don't like it (that you inherited a contract), vote with your feet". Perfectly valid statement. What I was trying to point out was that it is not a perfect solution. Life isn't perfect, of (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) OK... one person one vote... that was a proposed metric too. In that case, the US gets what, 10 times the votes that Canada does? And India gets 5 times again since it's 5 times bigger than the US (I didn't look the exact figures up, you get (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) But here's where you're missing the point, Larry--If we use your very own rationale, I'd say that Canada should have 5 votes to your 1, because we're so much better than you--we have (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) Is pretty much amazing how this little war has united (most of) the Arab nations in complete and total protest against it. If I were a betting man, I'd say there are probably folks from Saudi Arabia fighting on SH's side--But wait! Aren't the (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Thanks for trying to clear this up. Use potential, use probability, whatever you like... what I was trying to convey was the likeliehood that a system of government will be able to continue to deliver (1) higher quality of life, higher (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) <snip> (...) "Perle has been a leading, albeit somewhat free lance, voice in the Bush administration for a war with Iraq. As a campaign adviser, he suggested in 2000 to a Senate committee that Bush would oust Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein if he (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Megan's Law, and its implications

(...) I've been mulling this over, and something just isn't ringing true for me about it. You claim that your home budget is run democratically, but I don't think I can believe that. I gather that you currently have one child, correct? But suppose (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) Oh please, from your own cite I give you: "If terrorists are found, it would be the first proof of a direct link..." In other words, there is no proof, and the whole piece is speculation based on a few threats an Iraqi grunt ('no offense') (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) (URL) which I quote an article that in turn quotes author and intelligence expert James Bamford. "There is a predominant belief in the intelligence community that an invasion of Iraq will cause more terrorism than it will prevent. There is (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

John: I honestly think you may be afflicted by a kind of psychosis. You seem to believe that the U.S.' actions in the world should have no repercussions, whereas I am certain that people around the globe are responding to us with extreme negativity. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote in message (...) "The Songs of Distant Earth", IMHO one of the best books of all time, if not the best. See also the Mike Oldfield "Soundtrack" of the same title, also amazing. With regard to (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  aljazeera.net [Re: Patriotic Geeks-- Gotta love 'em!]

(...) So much for freedom of speech! Remember it was banned in Bahrain for its “Zionist Bias” [irc]. Al Jazeera.net is not my main news source, but it does provide: 1) an alternative to the USA/UK propaganda 2) an insight into how the conflict is (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) That's BS. Cites, please. Even as you question backpedalling you backpedal! (...) So it is *our* fault, eh? No, we are the radicals' convenient scapegoat, along with Israel, the perpetual Arab scapegoat. (...) Nor am I. Do it yourself. These (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Larry is talking about the probability a country will continue to deliver. I'm not really interested in debating semantics, but potential and probability have different meanings. At least my reference was to the same word. JOHN (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) Preexisting when? (...) What? No clever little ad hominem for Tony? Hack. (...) I'll tell you what gives-- what we perceived as the threat to *our* national security was having a madman like Saddam collect WMD who then possibly would pass them (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact