 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2068
Re: Adding part updates (and clone parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:22:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi wrote:
Don Heyse wrote:
I'm also thinking about adding a link to the MegaBlock ldraw library
if I can find it.  The recent color change did away with the whole
Lego "System" concept by introducing subtle incompatibilities.  It
seems like Lego really wants us to mix it up with the clone bricks,
so I'm willing to help them out there.

   Wow, you are taking this color thing hard.  I wouldn't use the
MegaBlocks parts, but providing a link seems reasonable. I mean, there
are people that like and use MegaBlocks, so why not.

I believe one of you Mac guys may have actually inquired about the
clone part files at one point.  So clone part makers, what's the
current status?  I have a copy of clone001.zip.  Should I make that
available from the Mac ldglite startup page, with an offsite link
telling where to get the current clone part library (when/if it
reappears)?

Glad you asked, because it gives me another good excuse to get off my duff and
finish what I started.  My collaborator in setting up a clone.dat website has
been very patient with my procrastination, and he's put together an attractive
site that would be great, if only I'd give him the clone001.zip list.

Here's the skinny:  The current clone parts library is about 720 elements, plus
a handful of sub-parts and a few primitives.  The curent library is generally
backwards-compatible with the original release, but there have been a few
corrections and several reorientations of parts.  Nothing too drastic, though.

I would prefer that clone001.zip not be posted anywhere just yet, because I
don't want overlap or inconsistencies when the official library is released.

Anyway, the three main disclaimers about the clone.dats are as follows:

1.  Some of the parts aren't perfect, but they're (I hope) better than nothing.
Specifically, a number of parts have incompletely-rendered undersides, such as
landscape elements and other pieces for which the bottom surface is not integral
to the function of the part.  I'm also no expert on linetype 5 statements, so
there are some shortcomings in that regard, too.

2.  I make considerable use of inlined POV-Ray code, which is contrary to a
stated goal of the official LDraw library, but which works very well for my
purposes.  There may be future issues with backwards-compatibility, but we'll
see what happens.  Most of the inlined code is basic stuff and probably won't be
greatly affected by future changes to POV-Ray.

3.  A few of the parts don't work with Kevin Clague's LPub program, but this
appears to result from errors in the way I formatted the inlined POV-Ray code.
Before any official unofficial release, I'd like to get those errors
straightened out.

4.  I didn't become aware of BFC-complance until fairly late in the game, so my
earlier parts might not be fully up to snuff, BFC-wise.  I'm working my way
through them, but I can't promise a timeframe.

My apologies for the delay, but I hadn't realized that there was so much
interest in the clone.dats.  I'll try to get it together within the week.

Thanks.

Dave!