 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 569
Re: Adding part updates (and clone parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:39:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse wrote:
I believe one of you Mac guys may have actually inquired about the
clone part files at one point.  So clone part makers, what's the
current status?  I have a copy of clone001.zip.  Should I make that
available from the Mac ldglite startup page, with an offsite link
telling where to get the current clone part library (when/if it
reappears)?

Glad you asked, because it gives me another good excuse to get off
my duff and finish what I started.  My collaborator in setting up a
clone.dat website has been very patient with my procrastination, and
he's put together an attractive site that would be great, if only
I'd give him the clone001.zip list.

Here's the skinny: The current clone parts library is about 720
elements, plus a handful of sub-parts and a few primitives.  The
curent library is generally backwards-compatible with the original
release, but there have been a few corrections and several
reorientations of parts.  Nothing too drastic, though.

I would prefer that clone001.zip not be posted anywhere just yet,
because I don't want overlap or inconsistencies when the official
library is released.

My apologies for the delay, but I hadn't realized that there was so
much interest in the clone.dats.  I'll try to get it together within
the week.

Since it's been about a month now, I figure it's time to check up on
this again.  Anything happening here, or is it now a hopelessly lost
cause.  Given the recent happy announcement, I'm assuming it's been
indefinitely put off.

Fortunately, I had already made some small steps in that direction prior to
Matthew's debut!  (And my clone-collaborator wasn't involved in the birth at
all, so his efforts have proceeded unabated.)

By the way, where is that mysterious clone site you mentioned?  I
couldn't find it last time I looked.

Oh, that...

The well-designed site (as opposed to my alf-hassed one) should be up within the
week.  In the meantime, the beta-version clone library can be found here:
http://www.freewebs.com/orrex/clonedats.htm

All previous caveats stand, in addition to the following:
1.  These are very basic zipfiles, so you'll need to unzip the files manually to
your parts directory (or whatever directory you prefer), though the parts\s
directory should unzip properly
2.  The "cloneprimitives.zip" file includes a few primitives that should be
unzipped to your c:\ldraw\p directory
3.  Deletion of the clone elements (if they're judged unsatisfactory) is
currently up to the user.
4.  The parts are offered at-your-own-risk and without any express or implied
warranty.  Honestly, though, they don't include any code that could really cause
problems.
5.  With the exception of parts written by Tore Ericksson (who has graciously
contributed to the clone.dat project and has given permission to tweak those
elements as desired) all parts should be considered copyrighted and may not be
modified without permission of the respective authors.
6.  A few more (five or so) parts will be added before the thing is actually
released, but these 700+ should get you started.

As a reminder, I make considerable use of inlined POV-Ray code, in contrast to
the stated policies of the official LDraw project.

One final note:  All of the part descriptions begin with the text "CLONE: ", so
that they'll all wind up in the same basic place if you run mklist.exe (sorted
by description).

Feedback is welcome!  Additionally, I would be greatly interested to see any
MOCs that people come up with, especially those that include both LEGO and clone
elements.

Thank you to everyone for your patience.  I'll post a follow-up when the actual
site goes live in a week or so.

Dave!