 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 547
Re: Adding part updates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:09:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Tom Bozzo wrote:
This is right.  Combining this with Chris's observation regarding
the -u switch, then here is the procedure (ready for the OS X
install document), which I have tested on my own installation:

- Assumption: ldraw folder is in ~/Library (the Library folder within
   your user
  directory, a recommended location)
- Assumption: parts update (2003-03, lcad0303.zip) downloaded to the
  desktop.

- Launch Terminal (in Applications/Utilities)
- Type command 'unzip -u ~/Desktop/lcad0303.zip -d ~/Library'
- Respond with 'A' (All) when prompted for file replacements
  (for the patient, respond 'y' when prompted; for the impatient,
  use -uo instead of -u in the command line above)
- Quit Terminal if so inclined

Very nice.  What about running mklist so the new parts appear in the
lookup?

James wrote:
If someone wants to write up instructions, we can post this to the
www.ldraw.org website under the Mac section.  I would have done this
but I have been too busy.

It'd be nice to make this information available on ldraw.org.
However, I have no idea how to submit the documentation there.
Is that written up somewhere?

I also have some small issues with the new version of the website.
Since ldglite isn't available on the Mac getting started page:

  http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=97

it really needs it's own complete getting started guide.  Now maybe It
could just point to some parts update documentation on ldraw.org as it
does for the original parts install, but the PHP in the new URLs make
me nervous.  They seem so temporary and uninformative compared to the
old URLs:

  http://www.ldraw.org/download/start/mac/step1.shtml

I mean, is ...file=article&sid=97 always going to get me there?

Don