 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 549
Re: Adding part updates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:51:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, James Reynolds wrote:
Very nice.  What about running mklist so the new parts appear in the
lookup?

I don't know if mklist will work or not.

Well, the DOS executable in the part update from ldraw.org won't work,
but you should be able to use either the point-N-click version or
the OSX command line executable that are included in the ldglite bundle.
What's missing is some simple directions on *how* to use them.  The
DOS/Windows directions on ldraw.org look like this:

4. Now you must compile the master parts list file (PARTS.LST) using
MKList. THIS STEP CANNOT BE SKIPPED. To do this, type the following:

"cd ldraw" ...press ENTER.
"mklist -d" ...press ENTER.

MKList will run for several seconds to a couple of minutes, reading
all of the files in your C:LDrawPARTS directory and writing the file
names and part names to the PARTS.LST file. When it is done running,
MKList will leave you at the prompt C:LDRAW>.

I imagine the OSX directions would be quite similar except for the
~Library/ldraw" path bit, and the part about finding the OSX version
of mklist.  Maybe the point-N-click version of mklist handles all
that.

If someone wants to write up instructions, we can post this to the
www.ldraw.org website under the Mac section.  I would have done this
but I have been too busy.

It'd be nice to make this information available on ldraw.org.
However, I have no idea how to submit the documentation there.
Is that written up somewhere?

I can submit pages and then they get approved by the site admins.
(I'm kinda site admin for the mac stuff--please don't boo and hiss
at me for not doing much...!)

I also have some small issues with the new version of the website.
Since ldglite isn't available on the Mac getting started page:

  http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=97

it really needs it's own complete getting started guide.  Now maybe It
could just point to some parts update documentation on ldraw.org as it
does for the original parts install,

I can add links or make changes (that have to be approved--so they take
a bit of time).  I can add ldglite to the getting started page.

I don't know if that's necessary.  I believe there are only a handful
of people who use the Mac version(s) of ldglite.

If you want its own documentation, I can put that up too.

Not really.  I think the offsite link from the Ldraw Viewers and Editors
page works fine.  That way I can keep the documentation up to date
myself (or get somebody else to do it).

Don