 Marketplace / Shopping / 2427
2426  |  2428
Subject:
Japanese Cust.Svc. anecdote. Was Re: WB store sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:14:16 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Yes, but...

Companies that hide behind "we goofed up" are within their rights.
They're just not as well regarded as those that stand behind their
offers.

Ali V. told me of a tale... seems he had found a store that sold 4558s
in Japan somewhere. After several visits, he had bought all they had on
display, but asked if they would sell him more. They said yes and he
thought not too much of it. Several purchases later, they finally told
him "sorry but we can't sell you any more"... seems they had been
scouring all of Japan to find ones for him because they were customer
service focused, and there were none to be had any more ANYWHERE in
Japan.

That reminds me of something that happened to my mom.  I lived in Japan as a
child, and one day my mother bought a dozen pastries or riceballs or
something at a store in Yokosuka (Saikaya Department Store).  Well, she got
them home and discovered there were only eleven of them in the box, so she
called the store and told them.  About an hour and a half later there was a
knock at the door-- it was the manager of the store who had taken the train
from Yokosuka to Hayama where we lived, several towns away, and personally
delivered another dozen with his deepest apologies.  You can bet that kind
of service would never happen here!  (To keep this from being too far
off-topic, you can imagine that my mother bought an early LEGO set, and got
it home to us kids only to discover it was short a piece-- the store manager
would probably have shown up with a replacement set!)

Maggie Cambron

Note: this is a family forum!