 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7229
Re: Major revision/expansion of my wantlist page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:20:03 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Selling to me is a lot less work than selling to some onesie twosie guy. Don't
underestimate the effort in creating listings, tracking sales, collecting
payments, and doing shipping. It's non trivial. Ask Mike Stanley. Heck, ask
me, I stopped listing stuff on eBay, too much work. Maybe at Christmas I'll
unload some of my hoard.

Another factor here is reliability. If you start into a deal with Larry, he
won't back out halfway through because he found someone else with a better
deal (though I would expect him to still back out if the deal becomes a hassle
in some way). I feel you would be safe if you were negotiating a deal with
Larry, based on a huge stack of set XYZ some store has on deep clearance in
deciding to buy that stack of sets based on the ability to sell a bunch of the
parts to Larry (though if you don't have the sets in hand when you start
negotiations with Larry, be up front about that, just as he trades on his
reliability, he isn't going to want to spend time with someone who can't come
through with the deal).

I have to agree with Larry about the hassles of selling. That is probably the
single thing which has stopped me from selling much of the stuff I have to
sell, it's just too much hassle (especially listening to Mike Walsh about non-
payers on eBay and how much hassle it is to get your fees back). I did a round
of parts sales once based on a real good price for 5978, and between my
finding time to actually process things, and buyer's fickle nature (I do note
that I solicited interest to buy, but not commitment, before buying the sets
so I don't really fault anyone in the deal other than myself), I am still
sitting on most of the parts (if you're interested in parts from this set, it
wouldn't hurt to send me an inquiry - I've sold a lot of the good pieces, but
still have a bunch, including the base plates). On the other hand, at the same
time, I had bought a bunch of 6444s and ended up doing a fairly good sized
deal with Larry (he also ended up with some parts from the 5978 I think).

On a side note - I also have to say that some of my willingness to pick up
sets for people (especially people out of the US) has diminished after one
deal which turned into a major hassle (the buyer really didn't acknowledge
that I was doing them a favor in buying the sets). This has no affect on most
of the folks I've bought stuff for (if you ever have the opportunity to deal
with Martin Legault, Jason Briscoe, or Mario Ferrari, you can go into it
knowing that you will be treated very well [and I'm not shy about bandying
about names of good and honest folk - these are the stars of the folks I've
dealt with internationally on a regular basis, I've had good dealings with
several other folks too, so if you don't see your name on that list, it isn't
a bad thing, I just haven't done as much buisiness with you, though I'll also
mention Nico Hoogerbrug - I've necer sold stuff to Nico, but he is also an
exceptional international trader]).

Frank