 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7228
Re: Major revision/expansion of my wantlist page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:19:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Tom Stangl writes:
Larry,  don't take this the wrong way, but...

Aren't many of these prices extremely unrealistic?  (I would say insanely
unrealistic)

I think the prices are odd in some places, but as Larry says, his stock • changes
how much he wants certain things.

What I don't get is stuff like the bogie plates at $1.25 each.  Doesn't S@H
sell these at 2 for $1.99?  How many do you want at $1.25 each Lar?  I wonder
if I can have them just ship directly to you? ;-)

That was a mistake. For some reason I had fixed in my mind that the big three
accessory packs were 3 bucks (3.25 in the old scheme) each. I lowered my price
on bogie plates to USD 0.85. (when I order from S@H the shipping is
essentially free, that is to say, the maximum they can charge spread across 1K
or more of an order) I can order all I want for a buck a piece, but if someone
(a non train head) is parting out some set and wants to unload, I'm there...

Another thing I'm considering is that if I have to start paying, for • instance,
2 dollars a pane for train glass, you're just not going to see any of it in
under 100 dollar sets from Milton Train Works.

And that might be a shame, but if that's what how the market says
it's going to be...

Exactly. Either that or the models will be more. I'm also open to leaving out
high priced parts by special arrangement with the buyer. If you read that as a
whine about how much stuff costs, you would be wrong, I singe other people
about that all the time.

Worse, if big plates really cost that much in bulk, that rules them out of my
designs too. That would be a shame.

I'd say more like $1-1.75 for 6x16 black plates is what I've gotten though I
guess it's been higher sometimes.  And 6x12s are less $.7-1 or so.

Fortunately I don't use very many 6x unless I'm doing structures. And I have a
pretty good supply at the moment. I use a lot more 4x. Yellow is my achilles
heel, red blue black and white can be had from S@H if you can use the
assortments correctly (although the catalog that came with my most recent
order has more special pages and does NOT have the page with the brick and
plate packs... ominous sign perhaps)

Maybe I'll take another pass through it yet tonite. But I'm convinced someone
could still make a good profit feeding me parts, even at these prices,
assuming they have a steady stream of discount sets for input.

Maybe.  I'm not convinced.  But they'd be making so much less than they could
for a trivial amount more work that it would be foolish.

Selling to me is a lot less work than selling to some onesie twosie guy. Don't
underestimate the effort in creating listings, tracking sales, collecting
payments, and doing shipping. It's non trivial. Ask Mike Stanley. Heck, ask
me, I stopped listing stuff on eBay, too much work. Maybe at Christmas I'll
unload some of my hoard.

In fact, I'll pay you
10% higher than your prices on almost everything and sell them on eBay for
wildly more than I spent.

Don't pay ME, why add an extra step? Just outbid me in a reverse auction. I
don't mind, I'm not saying I have the prices right. Your bidding me up gives
me valuable data.

Do you get takers regularly from this?

Yes. It's just not visible to you.

Let me be clear here, I'm not here to debate about whether these prices are
good or not, the market will decide, if I don't get the volumes I need, I'll
raise or lower as needed. This is about the 10th time this year I've adjusted
them. Sometimes up, sometimes down. I just adjusted them again this afternoon
(as well as making it easier to see which ones I think are below market, at
market, or above market, roughly)

However I *do* want to educate sellers about why selling to me does save them
time and money over selling to Joe onesie twosie.

Someone will no doubt post a critique of pricing for a particular item, which
is fine. It may be amusing for them and that's great but I see it as more data
for me. I scan the BrickBbay listings too, I've got access to some AucZILLA
data, and I know what the interguild pricing is as well.

Again, now that there is a hot list broken out, I invite sellers to submit
bids to me for all and any items. Those bids can be more or less than I'm
offering, (although for efficiencies sake, I'm trying to get to the right
prices) and I'll haggle. I do it all the time.

Also, would you pay a higher amount
in credit that could only be spent at MTW?

Marginally higher but not a lot. My margins aren't as fat as I'd like. email
me if you're interested.

++Lar