 Marketplace / Auctions / 5221
Re: Ebay acution - Potential Fraud?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:22:21 GMT

If you look at my original posts I didnt go on about copyright. I only
observed that he ignored it, and on copyright grounds alone I could have asked
for the auction to be stopped. Which I didnt.

The main point I made was that this was someone passing off something as his
when it wasnt. i.e. potential fraud.

And I DID ask the guy to remove it first. But I thought it right to alert
potential buyers there may be something amiss here. If the guy just replaced
it with a box top scan from pause  or a catalog, that to me still raises a
concern of why he did not do that in the first place. If he was lazy or didnt
have a camera he could have done that easily. Everyone does it and is regular
course of action for anyone selling a set on ebay. But taking someone elses
custom photo and pretending its your own made me suspicious. I have seen
several people complaining for example that sets they bought on auction turned
out to be not as described, e.g. parts missing, no box when they expected one,
etc. This guy not only used someone elses picture but had a desciption that
didnt match the picture (no box). All grounds for suspicion.

Yes I made a bigger thing of it than perhaps I should. At the time I was very
surprised.

regards
lawrence