 Marketplace / Auctions / 5214
Re: Ebay acution - Potential Fraud?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:11:08 GMT

True, some sellers have been grandfathered in, but how many people who are
going to do fraudulent activity have an account that old?  I would venture
to say that most people who would have done that probably already have.
Fraud is a big deal, but just because the person lifted another picture
doesn't mean this item is any more potentially fraudulous than people who
use a lugnet photo for their auctions.

I was not commenting on this instance in particular, but this practice in
general.  I do feel that copyright infringement can be a major deal, but not
every time it happens.  We are not talking about an original work of art, or
bootleg music.  It is a picture of an item, like an example photo of what a
Coke can looks like.  That means that little creative effort went into it.
I would say that if we are talking about the work of a professional
photographer, it becomes something more than something I, an amateur hack,
snap with my cheapie camera.  At that point, the picture BECOMES the item
you place the value on.  The item with value attached here is what is IN the
picture, not the picture itself.  You are not selling the picture and
somebody taking it does not reduce your income.  If it were a song, or a
photo of a sunset, then the artist can claim that they lost a potential
sale, which has a value.  This does not cost the person anything, so damages
are not present.  The only damage is that the second person's auction
competes with yours, but removing the picture doesn't remove the auction
that is competing with yours.

I think that stealing your bandwidth is REALLY poor netiquette and has no
excuse.  Snagging somebody's picture from their auction and using it is
wrong, but there are a lot of things that are not right that people accept.
It doesn't really phase me when it happens to me, as I have already accepted
that it is going to happen.  If you really want to copyright the picture,
then put the copyright IN the pic, like etoys does.

Mike