 Marketplace / Auctions / 5208
Re: Ebay acution - Potential Fraud?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:46:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Well, I understand this happening.  I have done it to other people's
pictures and they have done it to mine.  I never considered it a major
problem, but I have only once had an email from somebody.  That person was
mad and I told him it happens all the time, but if he wants, I will change
the picture.  He said that it wasn't necessary, but he was mad because he
didn't have a digital camera to take the photos and had to pay a friend to
do it.  I told him that he could give me a few photos he might need and I
probably have the pieces here to do them for him to make it up for him.
After that, I have not heard from him, so I would assume he either got a
digital camera of his own or hasn't listed pieces lately.

When I lift somebody else's picture, I always put it on my own space, so I
can change it if there is a problem.  I never link to another person's
space, although I caught somebody doing that to me (and dozens of others)
and told him to stop or I would report him.  I suppose I should check though
my email and track him down and check up on him.

If somebody lifts my pictures, big deal.  It doesn't really bother me, so I
would assume that it wouldn't bother other people.  A few people take
offense to it, apparently.  I think that most people would apologize and
offer to change their pictures if asked, but ask first.  The guy might be
pretty cool - I know I am.  :-)

Also, there is the Pause database to look up these pictures, but how do you
know this person has heard of Pause.  He might not even know about RTL, let
alone Lugnet.

As for fraud, let's be real here:  he is an ebay seller, which means he has
his credit card on file with ebay.  The purchaser is insured through ebay
via Lloyd's of London (a highly respectable insurance firm) for up to $100,
IIRC.  To try to use fraud, well, the buyer will not be out any money in the
end and the seller will be a fugitive from justice for a few bucks.  Sorry,
but the most I have seen in ebay fraud is deadbeat bidders.  Most sales
fraud comes from people mislisting their auctions because they don't really
know what they are selling (like MB being passed off as Lego).

So yes, I have had experience with this - from both sides.  I have seen
mostly no problems, but where they have popped up, a simple email does the
trick.  Fraud is unlikely and it is more likely that you have somebody who
doesn't have a digital camera or scanner.  Sure, you could tell him (or her)
to go and buy one, but maybe they need to sell some used Lego sets to get
the money first.

Sorry it ruffles your feathers.  You can either accept that it will happen
and just learn to let it go, or say it shouldn't happen (and you are mostly
right there) and make it a personal crusade.  Either way, most people don't
consider it a big deal when they put the pic up on their own space, so you
will be hard pressed to get any substantial support for your cause.  I don't
even really sympathize with your cause, even though I feel you are right.
Unfortunate, but that is the way it is.

Mike Poindexter

lawrence wilkes <lawrence_wilkes@msn.com> wrote in message
I came across the following in rec.toys.lego

James Morrison <morrcjt@NOSPAMmelbpc.org.au> wrote in message • news:8bjvl2$8c8
$1@possum.melbpc.org.au...
Hello, sorry for for the spam....but I currently have some items up on • ebay
that may be of interest to the readers in here.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291530495
set number 6066...Robin Hood tree castle

So how come the photo is the same one as mine in
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=287681584

HE PINCHED IT OFF MY WEB SITE!

He obviously ignored my copyright notice

Is this a genuine sale?
Does he actually have the goods?

Is this a potential fraud?

Anyone else had experience of this?