 Marketplace / Auctions / 5210
Re: Ebay acution - Potential Fraud?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:14:26 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:
As for fraud, let's be real here:  he is an ebay seller, which means he has
his credit card on file with ebay.  The purchaser is insured through ebay
via Lloyd's of London (a highly respectable insurance firm) for up to $100,
IIRC.  To try to use fraud, well, the buyer will not be out any money in the
end and the seller will be a fugitive from justice for a few bucks.  Sorry,
but the most I have seen in ebay fraud is deadbeat bidders.  Most sales
fraud comes from people mislisting their auctions because they don't really
know what they are selling (like MB being passed off as Lego).

A couple things. First, grandfathered eBay sellers may not have a credit
card on file. Second, while I don't know how things have changed, I have
been burned by one seller (who burned a bunch of other people). I've
given up trying to recover my money, it was only $35 or so, and I've
already spent at least that in effort.

Note also that the instance being complained about was a picture of a
set with instructions and box, when the "borrowing" seller did not have
a box (by statement in the description).

What I would do if I found someone linking to one of my pictures, if
that picture was no longer needed for my auction is to change it to
something rather obnoxious, since the person IS stealing my web
bandwidth.

Sorry it ruffles your feathers.  You can either accept that it will happen
and just learn to let it go, or say it shouldn't happen (and you are mostly
right there) and make it a personal crusade.  Either way, most people don't
consider it a big deal when they put the pic up on their own space, so you
will be hard pressed to get any substantial support for your cause.  I don't
even really sympathize with your cause, even though I feel you are right.
Unfortunate, but that is the way it is.

So you don't think copyright violation is a big deal???

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com