 Marketplace / Auctions / 5215
Re: Ebay acution - Potential Fraud?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:41:53 GMT

lawrence wilkes <lawrence_wilkes@msn.com> wrote in message
news:Fs8zDC.8o4@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.market.auction, Mike Poindexter writes:
Well, I understand this happening.  I have done it to other people's
pictures and they have done it to mine.

So basically you are saying that copyright means nothing and you believe • that
anything that anything that is on the web is up for grabs?

No, I am not basically saying that.  You have a copyright for that picture
posted where they can't see it (i.e. it isn't in the auction listing) and if
this was a "public domain" set picture, it wouldn't be a big deal.  Given
that the person "could have not known" that this was not a public domain
lego picture like many of the ones on ebay, then it is hard to just jump on
the guy.

Copyrights, like all laws, serve a purpose.  Sometimes, they protect people
a lot, like musicians.  Sometimes, they protect people only a little, if at
all, like in your instance.  What were the damages?  How much did this cost
you?  If somebody stole $5,000, it is grand theft.  If they stole 2 cents,
it is still against the law.  But who gets up in arms over that, unless it
is being multiplied millions of times over with the same entity or group of
entities benefitting at the expense of another constant group?

Putting that small issue to one side (as you dont seem to believe in • copyright
judging from your post), the thing that concerned me most, and others too
judging from these replies, is that the posting of a picture like mine in • an
auction is clearly meant to be a picture of the actual set on sale, not • just
some standard box cover.

It was showing that the box, instructions etc were clearly there and in • good
condition.

For someone else to use the same picture is conveying an impression to any
potential user that this is their set that is on sale.

This guy said nothing about a box being included in his text (which is • very
important to some purchasers) but my photo clearly showed one.

This could therefore clearly mislead a purchaser.
I dont know if this sale turned out to be fraudulant or not. But to me • that
fact that it used someone elses picture, and was therefore pretending to • be
something that it wasnt, was enough to raise suspicion.

I agree and that his taking of the picture was misrepresentative of the
condition of his used set.  That misrepresentation is a seperate issue from
him taking your picture.

If you dont understand copyright, perhaps at least you understand that.

As I have stated, I do understand at least what you stated above.  I also
understand copyright, to a degree (IANAL) and believe that when another
person takes a picture from the web and uses it, it is not necessarily
right.  I agree with you to a degree, but I can't sympathize with you much.
People know that many people have a feeling on the internet that you can
just take content.  It is common knowledge that there are people with that
sentiment.  (I am not in that group, although you might think I am).
Knowing that people are out there like that, you might be wise to protect
your pictures from theft by putting a little icon in them.  Sure, it is a
pain in the butt, but so is having to lock your house, have an alarm for
your car and a list of passwords and PINs to memorize.  Your bank account,
your home and your car are important enough to you to make it worth the
trouble to protect them.  Are the pictures you put up on the net worth that
much to you?  Maybe, maybe not.

To me, they are not worth that much.  If they get copied, I don't care.  I
still have them.  It didn't cost me anything substantial, so it doesn't
bother me.  If it did, I would put more effort into protecting them.  What I
sell on ebay is not the pictures of the items listed, but the items
themselves.

Just becuase I don't think this is major doesn't mean I don't value
copyright protection.  It is just a matter of how far it should go.  I never
saw Lego make the club car public domain.  They allow the instructions on
Kevin's site so that people who lost the instructions can still build their
set.  By a strict interpretation of copyright law, every person who builds a
clubcar that doesn't own the set is violating the copyright.  Ditto for the
hopper cars, space sets and anything else Lego made and coprighted.  Many
people would think that gets to the point of being ridiculous.  If you
carried it further, you could say that anything inspired from another
person's original creation (i.e. not a copy of a real life item) violates
the copyright as it steal the "look and feel" of their creation.  Most
people I know would consider that ridiculous.  At some point, we will all
draw a line of where it is ridiculous, or at least counterproductive.  Just
because I draw that line sooner does not mean that I don't think it should
be drawn at all.

And I though the Lugnet community was quite tough on copyright protection
judging from the many, many posts regarding the protection of the images • on
Lego's web site.
Clearly, not everyone in Lugnet feels that way.

regards
lawrence

Well, I have seen a lot of knock-off TLC designs floating around.  I have
seen a lot of Star Wars creations that are renditions of copyrighted
material.  Clearly, most people consider that to be OK.