 Marketplace / Auctions / 5135
Re: Ebay acution - Potential Fraud?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:15:31 GMT

I want to know where Lawrence's supposed copyright notice is. I went to his
site and didn't see anyhting.
I think this discussion has gone far enough. It could keep on going and just
get people mad at each other.
I think the most logical thing is that he say Lawrence's auction and saw the
picture and saved it because he knew he was going to be auctioning one himself.
I'm not saying he should have done it.

Ryan

In lugnet.market.auction, Gloria Summers writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Mike Stanley writes:

Can you show us how he MUST have gone to your main page and copied it
from there, instead of just fleecing it from your auction page?
Because I just saved both images from the auction listings only and
they're identical.

It doesn't matter whether the person copied it from his web site or his eBay
auction page, it is still his picture. His auction started first, he has the
picture on his web site, it is his only. Not seeing a copyright notice does
not excuse violating it. I know when I buy an opened set on eBay, I want to
see the actual goods showing the condition of the box and maybe even the set
assembled in front of it. That is the most proof I am going to get about the
seller having the set and the condition of the set I am buying. The person who
buys the goods on this second auction is obviously not going to get the set
shown there. Who knows what kind of condition this other set is really in?

Because the image shown in ebay is linked to my website, its not on ebays.
Therefore by copying it, albeit whilst perhaps viewing it via ebay, he is
copying it from my web site.

He probably never saw your copyright notice on your main page - no
need for him to have gone there.

You dont have to see a copyright notice to violate copyright.
Ebay rules are quite clear
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-copyrights.html
eBay Guideline: No Copying Allowed! When you prepare your auction listings • you
generally should use only material (text, photographs, etc.) and
trademarks/names that you created or own yourself or licensed from the • owners.

eBay Guideline: No Unauthorized Linking to Photos! You cannot link to • somebody
else's picture (so it appears in your auction) without the owner's • permission.

I might be being OTT in suspecting fraud, but still within my rights to
question this auction.

You're not over the top on this one. You are alerting a lot of eBay users that
this is an auction to avoid. I think you can get it stopped too if you send
off an email to the eBay staff.

regards
lawrence