 Marketplace / Auctions / 5216
Re: Ebay acution - Potential Fraud?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 01:08:32 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

Copyrights, like all laws, serve a purpose.  Sometimes, they protect people
a lot, like musicians.  Sometimes, they protect people only a little, if at
all, like in your instance.  What were the damages?  How much did this cost
you?  If somebody stole $5,000, it is grand theft.  If they stole 2 cents,
it is still against the law.  But who gets up in arms over that, unless it
is being multiplied millions of times over with the same entity or group of
entities benefitting at the expense of another constant group?

Loss of income (or potential income) is basically the crux of the issue.
If you can prove that you potentially lost $2500 due to copyright
infringement, it's a felony.   I suppose if you had an auction for a
really expensive item and someone came in and placed the exact
same items before and after your auction using your photo, you
could have grounds...  But otherwise it's hardly a defensible position.

Just had to add that in...  :)

Well, I have seen a lot of knock-off TLC designs floating around.  I have
seen a lot of Star Wars creations that are renditions of copyrighted
material.  Clearly, most people consider that to be OK.

There's an interesting point here...  Under the Berne Convention of 1972
(which established international copyright law), it's also illegal to modify
copyrighted material.  If I bought an expensive sculpture and defaced it,
the artist could sue me for copyright infringement.  Likewise if I added an
extra eye, nose, or what have you.

So does the modification of my snowspeeder constitute copyright infringement?
I *am* "ruining" the original design...  :)  Anyhow, the answer is probably no
since the sets don't come pre-built.  But I thought it was funny anyhow.

Chris

--
Remove the nospam machine name in my email address to send a personal reply.