 Local / United Kingdom / 7128
  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

James Stacey <James@minifig.co.uk> wrote in message news:GJCtt4.BGt@lugnet.com... (...) so (...) And yet these people stock computer games like "Diablo" and "Doom"... -- Markham Who needs sanity when you have iNsAniTy?! All your Lego base are (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle)

"James Stacey" <James@minifig.co.uk> wrote in message news:GJCtt4.BGt@lugnet.com... (...) so (...) Well, it will be them that lose out then, just like they do for not opening on a Sunday (because they are 'keep Sunday special' supporters!) when (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Huw Millington (<GJCy1q.KFo@lugnet.com>) wrote at 19:02:39 (...) The one near me opens on Sunday, but their LEGO selection is rubbish, so I won't be going back. (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Is this an anti-magical thing? Did they refuse to sell Fright Knights and Dragon Masters too? John #388 (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle)

Huw Millington <hmillington@cix.co.uk> wrote in message news:GJCy1q.KFo@lugnet.com... (...) And just what is wrong about this? What's wrong about having a day off to be with the family? -- Markham (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle)

  Harry Potter getting left out

Just spoke to a worker in The Entertainer and they said that they would categorically not be stocking Harry Potter LEGO on their shelves. This is due to the religious beliefs of the owner (he feels its inapropriate and so wont stock any Harry Potter (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Markham, you are right. Keeping Sunday special, they obviously are Christians, Catholics, Lutherans, or other religious people and what we have here are Atheists criticizing Christian or other Religious beliefs, because they probably don't (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Atheists? Why single out atheists? LFB (grabbing the flak helmet) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Nothing. And if you choose to run your firm that way, it ought to be your perogative to do so. No law should prevent you from closing your shop on whatever day you choose, just as no law should prevent you from *opening* your shop on whatever (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GJDrnz.7q4@lugnet.com... (...) The problem, if there is one, was created by bizarre rules about what could and couldn't be sold on Sundays. Whilst for many years, much long after the (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Um... Evan.... What does 'having a day off to be with the family' have to do with any religion at all? The absence or presence of any given religion does not a family make. The presence of good family-oriented people is what makes a family; (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) and couldn't be sold on Sundays. (...) for most shops to trade on Sunday, I'm not sure how consistent this was across the US, so such a comparison might not be highly accurate. I know that in 1985, most stores in Missouri were closed on (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message news:GJEG7x.Lt8@lugnet.com... (...) The Sunday Trading Act that allowed stores to open on Sunday in the UK was as recent as 1994. regards lawrence (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) The U.S. Supreme Court held in 1961 that blue laws enacted by states (and by extension municipalities, I presume) restricting various aspects of Sunday commerce were constitutional. I don't believe that that decision has ever been overturned, (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) As much as I don't want to advertise for them, do make a point of trying their lemonade if you like hyper-strong (sour) lemonade mixes. I think you spelled it right. Chris (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Actually, most stores in the Netherlands *still* don't open on Sunday, some because of statute--church attendance is down almost 75% from just 20 years ago, so it's not an anti-secular thing anymore. I hear Belgium's the same way, as is much (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GJEqAn.K47@lugnet.com... (...) Small shops can open 24x7 Large shops (over 280sqm) can only open 6 hours on Sunday - any 6 hours between 10am and 6pm. Dont know anything about a rule (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) No, what you mention up there rings a bell. I had thought there was some tie to Saturday's hours as well, but perhaps not. I wonder how long it will take the GLA to fix *that*. And has PPP been tanked yet?!? I hope so. Britain doesn't need (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

(...) Lindsay As you may know I work for Ken Livingstone indirectly, in Transport for London, so I can answer these two questions (the Underground one perhaps in more detail than you may need!) 1 - Sunday trading: The Mayor and London Assembly don't (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

(...) No, actually, that's probably not as much detail as I could withstand. :D I read pretty closely on the matter when I was living in Hornsey and in Acton, especially after Kiley got involved because I use Boston's and New York's systems quite (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Why? Does this seem fair or correct to you, out of curiosity? Trimmed FUT down to just .debate... which I forgot to do first time, sorry... ++Lar (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

(...) You need to read a bit more widely, perhaps. And does the fact that "everyone says so" make something actually "so" ?? (...) In what way is Railtrack an example of privatization? There's still one company controlling *all* the track that is (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GJF2q7.2Ft@lugnet.com... (...) It was a complex debate that raged for years before they allowed sunday trading. I guess this was the compromise they worked out. I doubt logic had (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) I doubt it did either, but that's not what I am asking. I could care less (but not very much less...) about what the politicians were thinking. My question is, do you *personally* think it's a good idea to have a law that restricts when stores (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GJFG33.8yn@lugnet.com... (...) I don't think there should be any restrictions on what can be sold when, or have anything to do with the size of the store. However, there clearly has (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) Well that's what it the Government called it at the time! A state owned business was split up and the parts were either sold, floated or transferred under franchises. Of course you are right that Railtrack is a monopoly but it's still (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) Yes. But calling something X doesn't make it X. Unless you agree that California recently "deregulated" its power industry. (...) I totally agree with that! In our country the FCC seems bent on engineering the "correct" number of wireless (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) Just for clarification (since there's no way to defend CA's policy): can a system be referred to as "deregulated" if regulations are removed; ie: reduced regulation = deregulation, or is it necessary for *all* regulation to be removed; ie: no (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I don't have enough information on that. I'm interested because I have a fair few friends who it affects and I've tried to follow the situation in the Economist and other places but failed. My point was as set out below - You appear to be (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I don't. I think it is plain wrong! From: (URL) sale of government-owned equity in nationalised industries or other commercial enterprises to private investors. The sale may either transfer all the equity to private ownership, or the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) In Texas we have "dry" and "wet" counties. You know when you've crossed from a dry county to a wet county because the liquor stores and, not uncommonly, the topless bars, crowd the county line. I'd wager that deaths from DWI's are higher in (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message news:GJGFrM.B60@lugnet.com... (...) Yes, I know. I used to live in Plano. It bemused my British wife and I that we had to drive 12 miles to buy liqour but that we could buy a gun in the local (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I agree, inasmuch as we're talking about privatization in practice, not theoretical Libertarian privatization, which I would agree would function more effectively than the half-assed privatization Railtrack represents (but, I would also argue, (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GJGLDJ.5nz@lugnet.com... (...) You might have guessed that in the UK, airports are privatised too! www.baa.co.uk owns 7 british airports including Heathrow And also owns or manages under (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GJF0zu.LB6@lugnet.com... (...) I would have thought the UK has plenty of history of struggle between local, state and federal over the centuries. We've had civil wars, and the formation (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

(...) Not in my opinion: (...) All of these were at national level, either two nations against each other or two sides vying for control of the whole nation. (...) Scottish and Welsh devolution are close, but there was no level of government (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes: I agree, inasmuch as we're talking about privatization in (...) Except for, as I said, how do you incentivise the public sector to deliver value for taxpayers money? When BR knew it had the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) trading. (...) I totally disagree with such regulation. I grew up in Tasmania, Australia, where medium to large stores (forget the numbers but about >30 employees) aren't allowed to open past 12 noon Saturday, except for special cases such a (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) I'm all for shops opening whenever they feel like it, the local city centre Tesco here has just started opening 24 hours a day and it is an extremely useful facility, especially for those of us who sometimes work odd hours. A chat with one of (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) If you had the toffee, would you need the Mars Bar :) (sorry, couldn't resist!) Psi (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Neither could I resist making the somewhat sad statement in the first place. The irony was that I lived near a toffee factory which emitted a saliva inducing sickly sweet aroma at times when I couldn't actually buy toffee (or Mars Bars) in the (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) When I was on a diet earlier this year, my NLSO would make me drive to the shops and buy her some hot chips. The hot chip aroma would linger in the car for hours. pete.w (finding possible reasons for failure of diet) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)