 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6178
Re: Shop At Home feedback requested.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:48:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Van Winden wrote:
   Shop at Home has asked the LEGO Ambassadors to get feedback from the comunities about the concepts listed below; The response we gather and compile will be used to, decide which themes to develop further:

Make sure you read the legal disclaimer below :)

Here is what S@H wants to know:

Do you like these concepts? What do you like about them? What do you not like about them? What should S@H pursue and what should they throw out? Is there anything specific that you’d like to see within the undefined categories (amusement park rides=roller coaster)?

General comment -- This poll is about S@H exclusives and to me that means the most important point for you to take away is any product of this type has to have great *Details*. Details, Details, Details. I don’t care if it’s a minifig barber shop or a motorized Technic oil rig, if it’s got great details I’ll buy it.

Town
  • Everyday buildings on mini fig scale, e.g railway stations, businesses to fit train displays

Yes, fantastic idea. Buildings with a lot of details to them. Buildings that look real. Most of all, I’d love to see a building with some real landscaping around it. Most real life building aren’t built on a perfectly flat piece of land. The land slopes, hillsides, etc. When folks create MOC buildings with landscaping it always looks gorgeous. For a S@H exclusive I think you have the freedom to finally include some detailed landscaping even if it ups the price or age level. For more rural buildings I’m thinking sloping green lawns, maybe a brook, a foot-bridge, some rocks and trees, etc. For urban buildings I’d like to see sidewalks, brick-built streets, and again some slope to the property.

  • Bridges
Again, what would make a bridge set really killer is to include the landscaping under the bridge. Don’t just make the bridge, but make the valley (or whatever geographic feature) that it crosses, too. Maybe for a landmark bridge you could get away without it (e.g. Golden Gate) but to make a simple bridge into an awesome set is to include the land underneath the bridge as well.

World Buildings
  • Taj Mahal
  • Sydney opera house
  • Empire state building
All great ideas. Include the details and I will buy it. Landscaping would be awesome with these, too.

Vehicles
  • Muscle cars, hot rods
  • Ferrari e.g F40, F50, specific historical race represented
  • Classic cars
Yes, Yes, Yes! To me it’s very simple: For each set pick a car or truck and give it the “UCS” treatment like you do for star wars. Give it lots of great details. If you can make it prototypical to a real make that’s even better, but not necessary. You made 4404 which was so awesome at US $60. Imagine what you can do with a set in the more typical UCS price range $100-$150. Ideally, I’d like to see vehicles skinned with standard bricks but have Technic “under the hood” with working features (steering, shocks, transmission, etc.). Whatever you do, make sure the doors, trunk, and hood open, as you did with 4404 and the new roadster set coming out.

Aircraft
  • Civil transport planes
  • Classic planes from the early days of aviation
Yes, Please! I’ve been waiting for you guys to continue the “Famous Planes” line you started. Same idea as I said for the vehicles above. Pick a prototype (like a 747!) and give it the UCS treatment. Just don’t use any of those silly juniorized pieces in the new CITY passenger plane sets. Also, don’t forget helicopters as well as planes apply here, too (and may make for more interesting Technic elements beneath the skin).

Other Structures
  • Oil rig with functions
  • Amusement park with functioning mechanical rides

Sure, if they have good details, I’ll be all for it. Besides for the obvious minifig scale amusement park, it may also be interesting to make some specific things in a larger scale. For example, a detailed carousel in Miniland scale would be fantastic. Or real functioning motorized Technic scale “scrambler” or “tilt-a-whirl” would be really cool.

Please reply with you answers in this thread. I will be compiling a report for S@H on Tuesday afternoon, so you have untill 12:00pm EST Tuesday to reply

Thanks for asking!!!

-Paul

   Legal stuff :

Please be aware that your answers, feedback, ideas, concepts, know-how or suggestions submitted in any communication which you send to the LEGO Group as part of your this survey (aka Your Material) becomes public knowledge and, therefore, the LEGO Group reserves the right to use Your Material, for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to developing, manufacturing, marketing and selling products using Your Material.

This same question is also being posted to mutiple forums, so if you have already repied, there is no need to do it again.

Jeff Van Winden