 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6162
Re: Shop At Home feedback requested.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:58:54 GMT

I suppose a lot depends on who it's targetted at. Level of juniorization and
model scale are big questions. Classic cars at the mini-racer scale (meh, ok)?
Minifig scale (neat!)? Model team scale (drool!)?

Considering that it sounds like it's a S@H exclusive, I'm assuming that we're
talking about something that's not intended for the "general" market, but
hopefully would have some appeal there, even if that's not the specific target.
So, anyone (kids or adults) who's seriously into Lego.

In order of my own preference:

1) Amusement park with functioning mechanical rides (any scale)
2) Everyday buildings on mini fig scale, e.g railway stations, businesses to fit
train displays (assuming non-juniorized minifig scale)
3) Classic cars (model team scale)
4) Classic planes (model team scale)
5) Oil rig with functions (non-juniorized minifig scale)
6) Empire state building (model-team level building)
7) Taj Mahal (model-team level building)
8) Sydney opera house (model-team level building)
9) Muscle cars, hot rods (model team scale)
10) Civil transport planes (model team scale)
11) Ferrari F40, F50 (model team scale)
12) Classic cars (minifig scale)
13) Classic planes (minifig scale)
14) Civil transport planes (minifig scale)
15) Muscle cars, hot rods (minifig scale)
16) Ferarri F40, F50 (minifig scale)
17) Bridges (minifig scale, I'm assuming we're not talking "landmark" bridges)
18) Anything with high level of juniorization

Category comments:

Town

I like the idea of basic town buildings, as it has the potential to appeal even
to kids who might not be into trains. Plus, as we've all heard a million times,
the "fringe girl market" might like day-in-the-life buildings moreso than fire
trucks, police stations, and monster trucks.

Other ideas: Houses. Businesses. Even cutsey things like ice-cream/hot dog
vendors. A playground, maybe? How about a school? Supermarket? Strip mall?
Perhaps a small collection of minifig-scale normal town cars (sedans, SUV's,
minivans, pickup trucks, etc.) Video arcade? Vending machines?

World Buildings

A good idea, considering the potential appeal for non-Lego fans, like the Statue
of Liberty set. The Sydney Opera House would be neat, but I imagine very tough
to do in Lego without it looking very blocky, being very expensive, or needing
custom elements. Might veer away from that one, despite the fact that otherwise,
it's a very attractive landmark. Others maybe... Big Ben? Eiffel Tower? Leaning
Tower of Pisa? London's Tower Bridge?

Vehicles & Aircraft

Model Team, I'm hoping. Minfig scale or micro-scale probably won't have as wide
an appeal, and doing models of actual classic cars/aircraft will (similarly to
above) have lots of potential to the mainstream rather than just AFOLs.

Other

Amusement park - Awesome. As a series of technic sets, not in minifig scale, it
would be really neat. And at minifig scale, it would be even more impressive.
Especially with things like a constructable roller-coaster track.

Oil Rig - *I* think it'd be neat, although I don't necessarily see it being as
widely desireable. Primarily, I'd be interested for all the cool ironwork and
mechanical-detail pieces you'd hopefully get with the set, and not so much the
idea of it being an "oil rig" per se.

DaveE