 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4783
Re: Discount code clarification and update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:39:45 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Melody Brown writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Duncan titmarsh writes:

This discount applies to most bulk items. To add the discount, enter:

AFOL23

at:

http://shop.lego.com/Basket/Basket.asp

There is a form field to enter this, entitled "Express Shopping for Catalog
Shoppers". This code will be online for some time.

If you have any questions, please let me know. And again, sorry for the
confusion and inappropriate use of the LUGNET (tm) trademark!

Thanks!
Jake

---
Jake McKee
Senior Producer
LEGO Direct

This is great news if you live in the U.S.
Why can`t we get this discount in the U.K or other countries??
Duncan

Yeah I just tried it and it doesn't work for us Aussies either... :(

I think Jake should change His opening post 'All' to 'US only' or whoever
else it covers....  as we are ALL too aren't we (the rest of the world)? we
may not be a huge majority but still.  We are also AFOL's too...

sample taken from his post http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4711
All,

Back in January of this year,  when LEGO Direct provided the AFOL community
their own coupon code for discounts on bulk bricks, an error was made on our
part.
the rest I snipped.

The AFOL community isn't just America etc

Well here's hoping that we are still waiting for it to be our turn soon then!

Mel
www.brickzine.com

Ahh, but we must remember that to most Americans [nearly used the 'S' word]
the US is all the world that matters...after all, isn't their leader the one
who trys to tell the rest of the world what to do? [The phrase "If you're
not with us, then you're against us", coupled with the idea of "strike
first, ask later" seem to point strongly in this direction...]

And anyway, even if they are planning on treating the world the same
eventually, there's still a LONG way to go till some americans stop fighting
to have all that everyone else has and more:
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4641

[
though to be honest, Benjamin does clarify himself later on:
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4676
]

MAYBE LEGO will one day wake up and realise that being a world-wide company
means that they should stop pandering to one or two markets, and allow ALL
markets equal access [at roughly equal prices] to the same range. [after
all, how can they expect sales to grow in markets that don't have direct
access like we were lucky to get recently, and how will this market increase
while it is cheaper to either buy in shops here [1] or, in many cases, have
it shipped to another country and then forwarded on by a friend/contact
there. [2]]

[1] Here in Australia, LEGO sells sets to toy shops for whatever price.
These shops then have a 40% increase on this price to reach RRP. Why then
does S@H have to charge HIGHER prices than the shops here charge, when they
(A) should have a cheaper starting price than the price in Australia, as
they aren't having to cover a shipping charge to begin with, and (B) don't
need to add anything to the base price, as at that price they are making the
same profit as they would expect on a normal sale in a shop here...

[2] With the current shipping prices:
3918 coast-guard key-chain
$4.99 Aus,
$ 50 Aus postage to Australia...that's the only option.

HOWEVER:
3918 coast-guard key-chain
UK 1.99 = $4.99 Aus [approx]
UK 2.95 postage [rougly $8 Aus]

Drome racer key-chain[similar to 3918 in size/weight]
$2.99 US [roughly $5 Aus]
choice, cheapest being $2.95 US.

$2.99 US
choice of postage, cheapest being $4.50 US

And posting it here in a bubble-wrap envelope from any of these countries
wouldn't we anywhere near $10 Aus, let alone the roughly $45 difference with
the US !

Anyway, just my 2 bob

Benjamin Whytcross