 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4676
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 06:09:32 GMT

Intersting points, Todd.

One thing I seen....is the apparent lack of "care" TLC has really put forth
in north america.

As opposed to the "over-care" of the past decades? I think what you consider
"lack of care" is actually the LEGO company realising that there are markets
outside the US, and that if they don't stop being a US-centric company, they
will end up with a VERY small customer base...and in one or two countries.
After all, MegaBlocks are coming out with a larger range, good models, and
more importantly, decent prices...and they're not the only company making
similar products.

Well that is one approach to looking at it...yes for several...errr...
many years North America (US and Canada) was spoiled.  I'll have to agree
somewhat to the approach you are taking.  I don't disagree with a world
point of view.  My qualms is now that everything is nearly everything is
manufactured in Europe now, why not "spread the wealth" and allow for
stream-lined availability of all products it carries.

There are issues on sellability of certain items.  I know most people
here in North America don't really care too much for the Cargo System.
That's probably why it was kept in Europe.  However, if you look at some
of the extra gear that European shops have, there is some better items than
what North America has....again which you really haven't addressed in your
response.   The North American items are in my opinion, really tacky.

There still is a wide gaps in quality products between Europe and North
America.  Sure its nice to have 2 fulfillment centers, but why does one
have nice things, especially non-lego Lego-Branded items (Europe - as in
cool brick-style lunchpails, Cargo Systems, and nice Black, LEGO Polo Shirts
...vs North America - various current or recent theme t-shirts)

And then there's the rest of the world, which until last year had access to
a considerably small line of sets, no t-shirts/other lego items, higher
prices, and no sign from our local LEGO distributors that they had any
intention of making changes...And the only thing that has changed is that a
couple of these other countries can now buy directly from the LEGO group
on-line at prices above the highest store prices (for sets) and pay an
exceedingly large postage amount. Also, up till a few years ago, America was
getting quite a few sets that were no-where else in the world. [I'd like to
see LEGO allow further countries access to on0line orders, as well as
providing a flat range around the world, with no special sets/offers to
individual countries/markets...but I doubt this will ever happen as certain
countries like to complain about losing "market focus".]

I have to agree with what you've said.  I found it extremely upsetting when
they shut down the Canadian Lego Operations.  There was a small fulfillment
center in Canada, that was just as good as the US operation, and everything
was in Canadian currency.  Having to pay in US currency, in Canada really
hurts sales for Lego Direct.  Also the shipping charges are just as bad
here in Canada as they are for you...there once was "Free Shipping" from
Lego Shop@Home.

So, I'm happy that Lego has made products more available to additional
countries, and I'm sorry that you feel that Lego from Shop@Home is
so much more than what you can buy at retail.  Personally, I only really
buy bulk packs and exclusive sets from Shop@Home anyways.  The retail stuff
that LEGO has put out now, I wait for clearance sales, because they aren't
worth paying even full price at retail, let alone direct from LEGO.

Plus, the whole service pack issue...is very upsetting to me...how there
are packs available but only in Europe.  The company is supposed to be
worldwide, but it seems they really not looking to achieve their objectives
as the key world toy brand by 2003.

Oh no...America isn't getting what they want...now you may know what it is
like in some countries/has been like in some countries for YEARS.

Again very true.  However, that was then, and this is now.  If LEGO has
"reformed" itself into a world-wide manufacturer and distributor of world
class toys, do you not think that it should have made the packs to a
greater market.  They found the packs in some dusty corner of their
fulfillment center after several years.  They might have been sold earlier
if they were found earlier, but who's to really say.  Some packs are still
available on-line, isn't this proof enough that at least LEGO should have
widened the scope of availability.

And just remember, no matter how much you want to believe it, the world is
NOT the US...and this attitude of "you have to do what we want" is exactly
why the US isn't the most popular country around the world...try considering
how you would feel in another country that doesn't have what you currently
have, and you'll see that there is more emphasis required AWAY from the US
to help them meet their target.

No kidding.  I think I know that all too well from my "Canadian" example
above.  I wasn't trying to complain about missing out on some great
Service Packs, I was trying to point out certain discrepancies in the policies
from LEGO itself.

Well, I don't think you need to be hostile with US...pricing it out, I think
that most products are better priced in Australia anyways.  Even if the
shipping is obsene.  (Its no better here in Canada).

I would feel more sympathy for the company, but really I have to agree...
it is already has its say on how it wants to conduct business.  Why should
Lugnet bend over backwards to please them already.  Membership on Lugnet
is one thing, but ownership is another.  If LEGO really wanted to dictate
how it wanted it to do business on LUGNET, all it had to do was maintain
its donations.

As far as Lugnet going downhill, that really is in how you approach the
situation.  If you sit back and generally complain, you will feel that it
is going downhill, because you contributed to it negatively.  If you get
involved, even 5 to 10 percent (and all of it positive), you will find that
the community will get better.

Just my input....

Benjamin Medinets

Benjamin Whytcross
[who's sick of those who have been priveleged in the past to get lots of
items complaining about 'missing out' because they now are starting to see
what every-one else had to endure in the past...though there's still a long
way to go till they get there...]

Well, I really don't think this type of attitude is really good to have.
Lego in a lot of ways level the playing field.  I don't think there will
too much of a gap as far as core-line goes.  So I think you will find your
hopes to be dashed.  (And I'm not saying this to make you upset, just trying
to dish out some reality back to you)...there might be some items available
to special groups....like Cocacola Japan, Shell Europe, Shell North America,
Veluxe, airline companinies, etc.

Anyways, I think I've explained my point of view enough tonight.

Benjamin Medinets