 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4784
Re: Discount code clarification and update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:35:55 GMT

"Benjamin Whytcross" <b_whytcross@hotmail.com> wrote in message

--8<-- snipped as its not my place to comment as I'm not american either :)

[1] Here in Australia, LEGO sells sets to toy shops for whatever price.
These shops then have a 40% increase on this price to reach RRP. Why then
does S@H have to charge HIGHER prices than the shops here charge, when • they
(A) should have a cheaper starting price than the price in Australia, as
they aren't having to cover a shipping charge to begin with, and (B) don't
need to add anything to the base price, as at that price they are making • the
same profit as they would expect on a normal sale in a shop here...

[2] With the current shipping prices:
3918 coast-guard key-chain
$4.99 Aus,
$ 50 Aus postage to Australia...that's the only option.

HOWEVER:
3918 coast-guard key-chain
UK 1.99 = $4.99 Aus [approx]
UK 2.95 postage [rougly $8 Aus]

Drome racer key-chain[similar to 3918 in size/weight]
$2.99 US [roughly $5 Aus]
choice, cheapest being $2.95 US.

$2.99 US
choice of postage, cheapest being $4.50 US

And posting it here in a bubble-wrap envelope from any of these countries
wouldn't we anywhere near $10 Aus, let alone the roughly $45 difference • with
the US !

Anyway, just my 2 bob

Benjamin Whytcross

You have to remember LEGO cant be seen to be undercutting shops by selling
directly to the customer at a lower price. The shops would just stop
stocking their product.

(I do agree that their postage is a bit steep tho ,and is a major
contributing factor to my hesitance to buy from S&H regularly)

--
James Stacey
---------
#925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado