 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4763
Re: Discount code clarification and update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:34:16 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Papenfuss writes:
<snip>

What!? Geez, dude..

Your implication is false. And I'm a little offended to read criticism posted
on my website of my action taken to protect my property. I should not have to
defend myself for running my business as a business just because you would not
do so.

Whoa there Suz, you are taking this out of context here, I point you to
someting I said at the start of this branch of the thread(1)...
"But then again Todd and Suz were simply doing the same thing that Lego does
in protecting their trademark"(1)

And you do not have to defend yourself in how you run your business, and I
never asked you to. It is obvious we have different views of TLC, this could
be for many reasons, but none of them really matter.

All I DO know is that if it would have happened on my site I would have been
nothing but honered and happy, I also would have promotied it as much as a I
possibly could!

but it didn't. It happened on MY site and I did not want to see it plastered
all over the internet's "Cool-Coupon-Code" spam! That was my choice to make.

Yes, I know it did not, I was giving my opinion about something here. And I
know that it was yours and Todd's choice to make - I never doubted this,
once agian I point you to the quote above. But I do not think it was spam, I
honestly think they were trying to help us out. And AFIK it was not
plastered all over the internet, just in the post that Lego made here about
it. If other people took your code and put it on their site that is far
beyond anybdy's control - but I am not even sure it happened.

I was happy for Lugnet when I saw that coupon code, it just showed me that
Lego was making a special effort to help us out.

I'm not surprised, as that is exactly how a good marketing team would intended
the community to see it.

See, once again the negative attitude is comming out. This is not a
conductive attitude towards a fruitful relationship with TLC.

I'm sorry that Todd's and my standard legal action has disappointed people.

I am not dissapointed at all, I am truly sorry if that was what you took
from my post, but this is not something I can be dissapointed over. If they
took away ALL coupon codes, then I would be dissapoitned. But I will
continue to use the coupon code on the back of my catalog.

Now, why not go celebrate the inclusion of "AFOL" in the new code...

I am thinking you did not read my first post inthis branch of the thread(1)..
"Either way I guess the events that took place between then and now do not
really matter at this point but as long as something has taken its place
that is all that matters."

-Suz

BTW, your "knowledge" that TLC has been uptight about their logo's use on
LUGNET is also false!   ...it's amazing how rumors get started.

I based my thoughts on posts I have read by you and Todd in the the last
year and a half + that i have known about this site. I have heard other
people talk about the behind the scenes stuff, but based my thouhgts only on
posts made by either you or Todd (2 examples are the many letters lawyers
have sent and meetings about what could and could not be done). And my
thoughts were based on this information only. So rumors - No. Conclusions
based on yours and Todds posts, yes. Maybe I am off, seems like you are
saying I am so I will go by what you say in that my thinking is off. I am
sorry for any misunderstandings. But please do not doubt that I think you
have done an excellent job at putting this place together and that you are
doing what you see as best to keep it going in the way that you want it to
go. I do not envy you in your job, but I am glad you are doing it!

So please, retract the claws ;)

Mark P

(1)http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4741