 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4723
Re: Question: Why allow postings of Lego Direct on lugnet at all?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:02:16 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Jordan writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

For my Lego news, I come to Lugnet almost every day. I only visit Lego.com
every 2 weeks or so. If TLC announcements weren't on LUGNET, then the
balance would move a little the other way.

I think there would be even no need to visit lego.com: for sure someone would
post (or link) the news into the lugnet. Lots of news are 'leaking' out of
lego.com even before they are published in a regular way there. Just these days
pictures of the probably next legend the former 398 appeard. We do not need an
official posting to get the news.

For example, every few days we see a list of S@H specials from Tom Stangl
and others. People really appreciate this information from Tom. Now, what if
Jake did these instead of Tom? That would be a plain, simple advertisement!

Just out of a personnal feeling, I like the fan based advertisement more than
the LD one. But that is not my point: this group was meant for communication (I
understand this as being bi-directional) with LD. I am missing the
communication
thing - I basically see the advertisement. And advertisement is not the main
purpose of this part of Lugnet, if I understand it right. (Ok, I admit, this
posting of mine might be an abuse of this group too...)

So my conclusion is, if  the content of LD announcements would be acceptable
coming from a fan, then they ought to be regarded as acceptable coming from
TLC.

It is acceptable, but I strongly would wish more communication and less
announcements.

Newspapers print press releases not because they are paid
for, but because they (in theory at least!) make the newspaper more
interesting.

In fact I have highlighted some of the LD postings in the past, because I
thought some of them have been quite interesting. But if someone would just
drop a line and give a link to a press release on lego.com it would have had
the same worth to me (or even more).

Regards,

Ben