 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4706
Re: Question: Why allow postings of lego.direct on lugnet at all? (sarcasm warning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:57:36 GMT

Why do people seem to think the site wide posting would mean we get 'spammed' in
every group with the marketing stuff?  Rules can be made that that has to stay in
the L.D group.. just as BST stuff has to stay in B.S.T.. people follow the rules..
why do you think they wouldn't be able to follow the rules?  why aren't they able
to converse with us in our own 'native' areas?

And don't give me they could reply in L.D and I'd see it.. I get Lugnet by mail.. I
don't see threading at ALL... in order to see the start of a message, I have to
then bring up my browser... search all over the place to find where the rest of the
message might have been posted.. and that's rather annoying to me..

Now, the other side of the coin.. I understand Todd and Suz's idea, keep all of
their stuff contained in one group, easier to search.. easier to follow a thread.
Easier to know it's official.. As a group though, I think we can all understand
that anything said outside of L.D is NOT official.. and run with it from there?

Think about this.... All this 'research' they are getting from us they could easily
get without us ever knowing they were here.  The set rankings, the chatter.. that
can all be gotten without ever posting a message.  The only person that might know
they were viewing would be Todd or Suz's as they can do an nslookup on the numbers
from the web logs..

Lego isn't only in the business of selling us Lego... They are in the business of
staying in business.. and we all know how that's done.. by giving the consumer what
they want.  Brad has listened to us whine and cry we want this and that.. and has
worked (I'm sure) VERY hard to get some of it.  I'm happy for the few things I've
been able to get that I figured I never would have in my collection.  Granted,
there's a million other things I'd love to see LD give us.. I'm in the stage of
take what you can get and be happy.

I know the relationship probably isn't exactly what everyone wants or would like
for them to be able to give us. Though controlling them isn't going to help the
relationship grow either.   And as far as Jake answering the questions on FBTB... I
sure don't see anyone setting up 20 questions around here for him to answer...
Maybe if we were a little more restrained and a little more organized as to the
questions we'd like answered we'd get more?

Just a few of my ideas and thoughts... I don't mean to hurt anyone with this.. so
don't take anything personally...

Tamy

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

Dear Lego® Fans!
Dear people of the Lego® company and Lego.direct!

This is Lugnet: the network for Lego® users, not for Lego® producers or
dealers. So after the strong discussions of the last few days let me allow to
put even some more oil into the fire, as long as it is burning.

Here is Lugnet ('The friendliest place on earth!') and I am a Lego®-fan, so I
think I am right here in this newsgroup (some might disagree when they have
read to the end of this posting, despite my trying to be as polite and
objective as I can).

This part of the Lugnet is devoted to the communication with Lego® Direct. As
far as I understand it, Lego Direct is a part of TLC and meant to sell Lego®
products directly to the consumers. Basically to AFOLs and mainly via the www.
Lego® direct is doing a quite good job in this field and I love lots of the
products they have made accessible to us.

But to be honest I am missing the communication. I see lots of advertisement
and announcement postings. Yet I am missing the 'discussion' and bi-directional
communication. Where is it? For advertisement and informational postings
lego.com would be the much more appropriate place in my eyes.

So my heretical question is: do we profit from the presence of LD at Lugnet at
all? (Nearly?) all what I have read here so far, could have been posted just as
well at lego.com. Announcing new sets is advertisement - at every other place
LD would have to pay for it.

I see no exchange of thoughts: Lego (obviously) uses the set rankings of Lugnet
and lots of the feedback for their marketing and that is ok. But we (as Lego®
fan community) have no bigger influence through the presence of LD in this very
part of Lugnet.

We have even read some promises that were never fulfilled as of today, which
waked lots of hopes and often enough ended in disappointment.

In other cases, if there is negative feedback from us fans (for e.g. on town
junior) Lego® Direct feels not responsible at all (Ok, they are not, but in
that case I ask TLC to join the discussion).

Now Jake seems to 'wish' (or even demand?) to have posting rights for the whole
Lugnet (as Lego® official - as fan he is active at lugnet.trains anyway).

Personally I see no advantage in Lego® directs postings here in the group. What
should be the aim in posting everywhere?

Leg Godt!

Ben
bad-boy-from-brunswick
and great fan of lots of Lego® products, but not (always) a fan of TLC