 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4747
Re: Question: Why allow postings of lego.direct on lugnet at all? (sarcasm warning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:38:08 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tamyra Teed writes:
Why do people seem to think the site wide posting would mean we get >'spammed' in every group with the marketing stuff?

'Spammed' probably isn't the right word for it.  I am thinking of something
less obnoxious and possibly more sinister like "product placement" type
marketing. An example: When I saw the Spider-Man movie, there was this
protracted moment when the protagonist is playing with his webbing and there
is briefly this shot of a Dr. Pepper can, then it's there again, and then it
becomes this featured element of the film for a several seconds.  I turned
to my companion and she assured me that there was a Dr. Pepper commercial on
TV that featured Spider-Man and so yes, there was some kind of advertising
deal that explained the existence of this sequence in the film. Here on
Lugnet, I would think that a TLC person might chime in on a conversation of
MOC with a statement that some element or other is available in such and
such set, or that a new color for that element will soon be available, etc.
Sure, another *Lugnut* might make the same kind if statement -- but the
tenor of the statement would likely be different.

Take Larry's "Milton Trainworks" thing -- if he posts a MOC I would most
likely want to see it, but if its a thinly veiled attempt to get me to see a
commercial for his MOCs FOR SALE I feel differently about looking at them.
I also feel that such announcements belong in Marketplace the same way
communications from Lego Direct belong in their own newsgroups. This way,
when I look I know what I am getting.

The reason I feel sure that TLC would use greater posting priveleges this
way is that the temptation will simply be too strong to do otherwise. No, I
can't see the future nor can I be absolutely positive of this.  Then again,
it is not a bad presumption given the HUGE money paid for this opportunity
on TV and film -- and consider too the kind of "target" market we Lugnuts
represent.  We ARE almost the perfect market -- sure, maybe we are not the
target age group for TLC's products, but then we have more money on the
average per capita than the correct age group.

So you may ask -- what is so wrong with a commercial?  They are everywhere
anyway.  Even statements made by other lugnuts are like adverts for this or
that. Frankly, there is no reason to not assume that TLC already has people
making posts exactly as I described above in a more *hidden* way.  Wouldn't
letting them post such statements more openly be preferred?  To all of these
possibilities I admit I do not have a ready answer -- I just don't like
advertising.

I am not a particularly good or loyal consumer of anything except air and
water.  I don't closely identify my own identity with any product brands.  I
take labels off of my jeans.  I never wear designer identified clothing.  I
don't care about the products endorsed by bubble-headed celebrities. I am
critical of advertising that plays off of people's vanity or fears. Etc,
etc, etc.

And I don't like product placements because there is no visual or verbal cue
that the tenor or purpose of the message has shifted from narrative or
conversation to an advertising.  Sure, normally I am smart enough to realize
it has occurred anyway, but why should I have to be?

-- Hop-Frog