 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4748
Re: Question: Why allow postings of lego.direct on lugnet at all? (sarcasm warning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:55:46 GMT

I am not sure that LD or TLC would be quite as badly behaved as people seem
to think.

Everyone knows Larry sells stuff. (Well, I assume if they are regulars here
on lugnet they do, anyhow.)

I sell stuff too, and I am personally very sensitive to the fact that lugnet
is not a free advertising medium and I go out of my way to ensure that I
don't post anything that could be considered "advertising".

I do talk about new product ideas, in fact most of them come from people on
lugnet who are looking for solutions to problems.

There are also occasional posts by other people about stuff I make and I
usually respond privately to keep my thoughts/opinions away from public view
in potentially touchy areas. So I think people do know how to respect lugnet.

I would very much enjoy more active participation by LD or TLC. If they
wanted to post hypothetical questions on lugnet.robotics about new product
ideas (I wish!) I hate to think that the fear of them going hog wild and
posting new product announcements all over lugnet (which I don't think
they'd do) is stopping them from entering into such useful dialog with us AFOLs.

If lugnet were to become a one stop visit to find out "everything Lego"
including what's new at S@H and elsewhere, that'd certainly help me!

JB

Richard Marchetti writes;

Take Larry's "Milton Trainworks" thing -- if he posts a MOC I would most
likely want to see it, but if its a thinly veiled attempt to get me to see a
commercial for his MOCs FOR SALE I feel differently about looking at them.
I also feel that such announcements belong in Marketplace the same way
communications from Lego Direct belong in their own newsgroups. This way,
when I look I know what I am getting.