 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4710
Re: Question: Why allow postings of lego.direct on lugnet at all? (sarcasm warning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 06:26:34 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

So my heretical question is: do we profit from the presence of LD at Lugnet at
all? (Nearly?) all what I have read here so far, could have been posted just as
well at lego.com.

For my Lego news, I come to Lugnet almost every day. I only visit Lego.com
every 2 weeks or so. If TLC announcements weren't on LUGNET, then the
balance would move a little the other way.

For example, every few days we see a list of S@H specials from Tom Stangl
and others. People really appreciate this information from Tom. Now, what if
Jake did these instead of Tom? That would be a plain, simple advertisement!
But would the information be any less valuable to the community? After all,
the S@H specials are available elsewhere....

So my conclusion is, if  the content of LD announcements would be acceptable
coming from a fan, then they ought to be regarded as acceptable coming from TLC.

Announcing new sets is advertisement - at every other place
LD would have to pay for it.

I think TLC's announcements here are more like press releases than
advertisements. Newspapers print press releases not because they are paid
for, but because they (in theory at least!) make the newspaper more interesting.

Mark