 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2151
Re: Polybag Racks (was: Shopping Anecdote and Suggestions (Long))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:01:21 GMT

A big "me too"!!!  I have argued almost the exact opposite of Bradley's post
in the past.  The only way I could agree with Bradley's sentiment is if TLC
packaged stuff separately -- that is different packages for the structures,
vehicles, minis.  That way everyone could get what they wanted and hopefully
in the numbers that seem sensible to them.

I didn't mean to suggest that there be no cheap minifigures.  Selling them
separately (which is what just about every other toy company does) would have
advantages- I bet a lot less people would by King Leo's Castle just to get the
queen/princess figure!

If I could make a LEGO aisle in a store look anyway I wanted, there would be
bags for every in-production mini-fig, cheap little sets without minifigs,
all the normal sets, and big buckets of basic bricks in one colour, availible
in all colours.  Yes, even LOM colours.

Today I bought a Droid Escape set.  To me these C3-PO and R2-D2 minifigures
are useless, but I like some of the elements in the rest of the set.  If
they packaged these items separately and individually, then those wanting
the vehicle could score however many of those that they wanted, and the
people collecting the minis wouldn't have to buy the vehicle part and get
however many they wanted of just the minifigures.

I bought that set mostly just so I could have the figures.  I thought the
"vehicle" was kind of useless.  Especially since it would be very difficult to
build a ship large enough to use an escape pod like that!

I would buy whole armies worth of red and blue shako hat Pirate theme
Imperial soldiers though.  So by no means can I agree that Lego is not about
the little minis too!  With some minifigures designs I just want as many as
I can get.

I think 'army boxes' with 5-6 soldier/knight minifigures would be really
popular! (especially if there was a Stormtrooper one for Star Wars!!!!!)
Better than bags with just one figure.  And if people just treat the bagged
sets as a minifig source, TLC should get rid of the useless little models and
include two figures instead!  Come on, 4811 is basically some acessory clips on
a big turning thing.  If I can't have an attractive model, I'd rather have
another knight.

For that matter, I might buy whole armies worth of some of the more generic
SW figures -- just not the particular two minifigures found in the Droid
Escape!  I mean, how many C3-POs and R2-D2s am I really supposed to need or
want?  When the minifigures are that identified with a particular narrative
they are just NOT that useful to me.  Think open-ended narrative, generic
characters, TLC.  And please, just dump these licensed characters!

C-3P0 and R2-D2 aren't that unique.  Relatives of C-3P0 are seen briefly in the
movies, one at the beginning of Episode I and one near the end of Episode V.
They're silver, but I imagine other gold ones exist too.  R2-D2s are quite
common, found on the back of every X-wing and Naboo Fighter.  Just build a
bunch of those ships if your R2-D2s need someplace to sit.

TLC should not dump liscenced characters.  Well, not the Star Wars ones anyway.
I don't think I'd enjoy collecting Star Wars LEGO as much if I only got generic
characters.  If Darth Vader's Advanced TIE didn't have Darth Vader in it, I'd
be quite disappointed!