 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2127
Re: Polybag Racks (was: Shopping Anecdote and Suggestions (Long))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 04:55:33 GMT

"Marc Nelson Jr." wrote:

<snip>

That (LEGO's current HTO concept) is not what I'm talking about.

As Mike said, $5 is not an impulse buy. Also, the current displays lack
variety. One set is not an adequate selection for a really interesting display.
I have also seen the Ninja sets fly out of the Food Lion at $2 a pop.

*Flying* Ninja sets? (quick, TLC!  License with "Hidden Dragon, Crouching
Tiger"!;-)

Also as Mike said, the current HTO scheme is not available enough. If really
dedicated AFOL's have to search out these sets, than they certainly aren't
impulse items.

You miss the whole point of "impulse items".  You don't go searching for them.
You buy them without having planned to in the first place.

I really would appreciate a response from LEGO Direct because I think this
is very different from what they do now, and I think it's something that
work to LEGO's advantage as well as benefiting us.

I'm curious.  What kind of response are you expecting from LD?  First of all, LD
is not responsible for *retail sales*-- that is why they are called "Direct".  All
of the HTO sets are also available AFAIK from S@H anyway, so you can get one any
time you feel like it, day or night.  Even still, how does my local supermarket or
7-eleven carrying 50 types of $2 sets of LEGO benefit me, anyway?  And who is
going to be responsible for keeping all of these 1000's of racks stocked?  Seems
to me that that would take a lot of time and energy spent by TLC which may or may
not work out to be advantageous for them.  And what if the reasons why they are
doing what they are doing are more complicated than that?  Do you expect a
complete explanation of their marketing strategy every time someone tries to micro
manage their company?

You expect way too much here, and your near demand of a response puts LD in a
lose-lose situation.  You expect them to allocate the resources to answer or
comment on every suggestion made here in .direct, and when they don't they get
vilified.

We have a forum here where we know TLC is listening.  Let's just toss in our .02
and let it go at that.

.02,
John

FUT:  .general