 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2126
Re: Polybag Racks (was: Shopping Anecdote and Suggestions (Long))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 03:06:45 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Walsh writes:

"John Neal" <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

(Although I am not a TLC spokesman) TLC has *already* instituted a • marketing
strategy like what you and others in this thread are discussing-- Brad • Justus said
TLC calls them "HTOs" (High Traffic Outlets).  They have some chrome • castle sets
and others which are placed in high traffic retail establishments such as • super
markets, convenience stores, etc and other non-toy businesses.  Their • price point
seems to be about $5, which I think is not bad, considering what you could
actually get in a set that only costs $2 (heck, a minifig is valued around • $1!)

I wouldn't be offended if somebody at LD doesn't respond to this thread-- • you guys
are just a little behind on the time curve.

For more info about HTOs, read Brad's post:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=22981

-John

I wouldn't call it being behind the curve, just a different perspective on
the same subject.

I think HTO sets are a decent start but I think at $5 the price point is too
high for impulse buys.  Now $5 is certainly a better price point than $10 or
$20 is.  The real problem with HTO sets is their unpredictable availability.
There is a Food Lion near my house that has had the most regular presence of
HTO sets that I am aware of.  They also sell every last one of them within a
couple of days of them showing up.  Obviously there is a demand.  It has
typically  been several months between loads of HTO sets.

For the HTO concept to really work the sets need to be visible and widely
available.  One shouldn't have to go on a grocery store tour in a five mile
radius every other week in search of them.  Every grocery store around me
has a decent supply of Hot Wheels near the checkout lines.  When the LEGO
HTO sets show up and are near the checkout lines they sell quickly.

In my area the first HTO sets to show up were the Ninja Polybags.  They were
oddly placed and took a while to sell.  The boxed sets had their own
displays and sold quickly.  I wonder if LEGO has to "buy" shelf space in
grocery stores for the HTO sets?  If they do, it would explain why they
don't have much presence.

Mike

That (LEGO's current HTO concept) is not what I'm talking about.

As Mike said, $5 is not an impulse buy. Also, the current displays lack
variety. One set is not an adequate selection for a really interesting display.
I have also seen the Ninja sets fly out of the Food Lion at $2 a pop.

Also as Mike said, the current HTO scheme is not available enough. If really
dedicated AFOL's have to search out these sets, than they certainly aren't
impulse items.

I really would appreciate a response from LEGO Direct because I think this
is very different from what they do now, and I think it's something that
work to LEGO's advantage as well as benefiting us.

-Marc