 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2153
Re: Polybag Racks (was: Shopping Anecdote and Suggestions (Long))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:32:09 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Frank Filz writes:
Gack no please don't listen to this suggestion... The cheap polybag sets
are useful for those who want to build up decent numbers of minifigs.

A big "me too"!!!  I have argued almost the exact opposite of Bradley's post
in the past.  The only way I could agree with Bradley's sentiment is if TLC
packaged stuff separately -- that is different packages for the structures,
vehicles, minis.  That way everyone could get what they wanted and hopefully
in the numbers that seem sensible to them.

I don't think that will happen. LEGO's usual design for polybags is 1 minifig
and a small cart/backdrop/vehicle to go with him. I'm more concerned with
getting more polybags out there than changing the way they make them.
Especially since they are looking for low-risk solutions - existing polybags
and rereleased recent polybags displayed in large varieties would seem to be a
fairly low-risk way of getting kids and parents to buy LEGO more often (at
least I think so - would anybody from LD like to enlighten us?).

Today I bought a Droid Escape set.  To me these C3-PO and R2-D2 minifigures
are useless, but I like some of the elements in the rest of the set.  If
they packaged these items separately and individually, then those wanting
the vehicle could score however many of those that they wanted, and the
people collecting the minis wouldn't have to buy the vehicle part and get
however many they wanted of just the minifigures.

I had the same situation with the Droid Escape set. But seperately packaged
sets and figs isn't something that I think will happen, nor should it happen.
Then some kid has to try to persuade his mom not only to buy the set, but the
minifigs that go with it. It's much simpler for hardcore nerds like us to get
around this problem (through Brickbay or trades) than for LEGO to change its
design philosophy to suit us, possibly alienating it's target group.

I would buy whole armies worth of red and blue shako hat Pirate theme
Imperial soldiers though.  So by no means can I agree that Lego is not about
the little minis too!  With some minifigures designs I just want as many as
I can get.

I totally agree with this! This would probably be an online LEGO Direct
offering rather than something that would go on store shelves (unless they
brought Pirate back), but these would sell like hotcakes.

For that matter, I might buy whole armies worth of some of the more generic
SW figures -- just not the particular two minifigures found in the Droid
Escape!  I mean, how many C3-POs and R2-D2s am I really supposed to need or
want?  When the minifigures are that identified with a particular narrative
they are just NOT that useful to me.  Think open-ended narrative, generic
characters, TLC.  And please, just dump these licensed characters!

Well, this is a seperate problem from polybags - two problems really:
1: LEGO doesn't make minifig sets anymore (I think Rock Raiders was the last).
I think this is especially annoying because the fig count per set isn't what it
used to be (with some exceptions). Every theme used to get a new minifig set
every couple of years, but now nothing. What's the deal?
2: LEGO doesn't put out enough generic minifigs
Almost everybody's a character. Rock Raiders and now Alpha Team are the worst
examples of this. SW was actually pretty good in that most of them could be
converted to Pirate or Castle - Luke, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn were especially
good, even though they were characters. I think this is just another
manifestation of LEGO's underestimation of the imagination of kids - that they
need pre-made characters, especially one tied in with some movie or one of
LEGO's video games.
When I was about 7, I had a minifig named Tommy. He was a plain smiley on a
blue torso with pockets, and he had a red cap and red pants. He didn't come
from a movie, he came from my imagination. I don't think kids have become that
much dumber, at least not the kids who would really be getting into LEGO. I
don't know why LEGO insists on pandering to the lowest common denominator. But
that's another complaint.

Anyway, yay for polybag racks! I'm gonna send this suggestion directly to LEGO
and see if I get a response.

-Marc