 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2118
Re: Shopping Anecdote and Suggestions (Long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:37:21 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Walsh wrote:

I have mentioned this before but I think it is worth repeating.  LEGO should
have a bunch (like 50) different small sets similar to the Shell promo sets.
They should be available at Wal-Mart, Target, and other regular LEGO
retailers as well as and probably more importantly, grocery stores and
convenience stores.  At $2 each they are impulse buys like Hot Wheels are.
When the Shell sets were available I picked up two or three each time I
bought gas.  If there were a wide variety of these available I bet a lot of
kids would buy them because they are (a) likely to have $2 or $3 of their
own money or (b) Mom, Dad, or some other adult will buy it for them because
it isn't much money in the grand scheme of things.  It is much easier for a
child or someone without a lot of money to buy things $2 or $3 at a time as
opposed to $20 or $50 at a time.

LEGO is doing some experimenting/work in this direction -- they've released
several items identified as HTO (high traffic outlet).  Basically, they're
small sets, under $5, packaged to be sold as impulse items in grocery
stores or at checkout lanes.  They've been in the Adventurers, Knight's
Kingdom, and Soccer lines.

Side note:  The Meijer store near me has started putting $10.00 sets (the
Star Wars AT-ST, Soccer stand/lights, etc) at their checkout/impulse shelf.
Apparently, "impulse buying" is going upscale.

Steve